I have to write a program that calculates the avg, min, and max. The program runs fine, but when a user decides he doesn't want to enter any scores (enter: -1) in the beginning it still tries to calculate the avg,min and max.

I need the program to end w/o trying to calculate the mean, etc if the user enters -1 for the first value.

Thanks in advance.

int main()
{
	double score[75];
	int x = -1;
	double total = 0;
	double min = 101;
	double max = -1;
	do
	{
		x++;
		cout << "Please enter a score (enter -1 to stop): ";
		cin >> score[x];

if (score[x] < min)
		{
			if (score[x] != -1)
				min = score[x];
		}
		if (score[x] > max)
		{
			max = score[x];
		}	
	} 
	while (score[x] != -1);
	for (int y = 0; y < x; y++)
	{
		total += score[y];
	}
	cout << "Average is " << (total / (double)(x)) << endl;
	cout << "Highest is " << max << endl;
	cout << "Lowest is " << min << endl;
}

Check the input immediately after reading it in and break out of the while loop right there if it's -1.

ETA: Or, rather, return immediately...I wasn't paying attention to where you do the calculations.

ETA2: You'll also have to make a flag to tell if you've read in any good values. Then, if(input == -1 AND goodValues == true) return;

Edited 7 Years Ago by donaldw: n/a

Check the input immediately after reading it in and break out of the while loop right there if it's -1.

ETA: Or, rather, return immediately...I wasn't paying attention to where you do the calculations.

ETA2: You'll also have to make a flag to tell if you've read in any good values. Then, if(input == -1 AND goodValues == true) return;

I tried using a break with if statements with no luck...I came here as a last resort. Can anybody enlighten me?

change your do-while loop

do
	//..
	while (score[x] != -1);

to while loop:

while (cin >> score[x] && score[x]!=-1) {
//...
}

Some other small changes will be necessary as well (x variable starts from zero and it should incremented at the end of the loop).

just a simple if statement will do before the calculation.

if input is -1 then return 0 
else carry on with the calculation.

just a simple if statement will do before the calculation.

if input is -1 then return 0 
else carry on with the calculation.

Isn't -1 also the value to tell it that you're finished entering numbers? You can't just go exiting the program just because a -1 was entered; if there was good input before the -1 you need to do the calculations on them.

Edited 7 Years Ago by donaldw: n/a

Check the value of 'x'.

if (x!=0) {
        cout << "Average is " << (total / (double)(x)) << endl;
        cout << "Highest is " << max << endl;
        cout << "Lowest is " << min << endl;
	}
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.