Ok...i know a little bit of C++ (basics, like cout, cin, a little bit of classes ect) and realized something after watching a video from Chris Pirrilo...

I dived into C++ without researching other languages first. My question to you is...should i stay w/ C++ or switch to C#? Can you give me some pros and cons of each language? What do you prefer? Do you recommend another language besides C++/C#?

Thank you,
EpicAsian

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I would learn both if I were you. I programmed in C/C++ for several years, and I will tell you that once I started coding in C#, I really don't like looking at C/C++ code anymore, but I can and do mostly for code conversions...:)

As far as which one is the future, I think C# is the way to go, but by having a C/C++ knowledge base you will be more valuable as there are huge amounts of legacy code out there that need to be converted and interfaced with; and, I believe the job market still favors C/C++ because of this huge weight.

If you decide that you like C/C++, don't fret, because there is and will be for a long time much code and work out there using this language. However, if you are like me and most others, once you get on the C# bandwagon, you won't want to get off!

Cheers!

If you have already started with C++ then I'd suggest you to go on with it untill you feel comfortable with the language and do some programming. Later on if you wish to start learning C#, it'll be easy for you to go ahead with c#.
-z

Depends on what your goals are. I can only speak for myself. Did some programming in C++ in the past, nice, but a steep learning curve. Now I use Visual Studio with the .NET environment and C#. Could have used VB or C++ as languages here as well, but I personnally prefer C#(cannot really explain why).
There is also a factor of speed involved, although with todays processors that plays less and less. But if you want to develop blazingly fast action games you should opt for C++ or even assembly.

If you have already started with C++ then I'd suggest you to go on with it untill you feel comfortable with the language and do some programming. Later on if you wish to start learning C#, it'll be easy for you to go ahead with c#.
-z

I agree, once you are comfortable working with one language, it is much easier to learn a new one. I started coding in vb.net and when i moved to c# it took very little time at all to adjust. The basic concepts and structures are the same, its generally just a case of learning the differences in the syntax :)

As stated, which language you use depends on what you want to code. SInce learning C# i havent looked back :p

As stated, which language you use depends on what you want to code.

This implies that C# is good for some type of work and C++ for something else. Could you give some details about in which area each language is more powerful?
Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.