I am currently a student in computer Information Technology and I would like to ask those of you who are experienced working in this field.
I didn't really know what forum to post this, so I am posting in Python because I love the language and have posted here before.

1) What kind of programs would I write if I where a network programmer?

2) What languages would be required?

3) What field would you recommend getting into. "I.E. Security, Technician, Network Admin... ect"

4) What states would be the best to get a job in?

5) Could I work at home?

Those are the basic questions. Any extra information, comments, and experiences are welcome. Thank you for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello, I am in a similar position and would be interested to get some more feedback on some of these topics. Although I'm pretty much a hobbiest programmer but I think if you are dealing with anything as far as security goes you would be pretty much dead in the water without having a good programming background. I also been playing around with javascript and php for now. Needless to say once I started diving into programming my eyes opened wide up as to the need for people in the security field :). But I'm sure depending on what type of job you take will intell what you will be using your skills for. If you want to be a network admin for someplace I'm sure you will be mainly keeping up on current threats, customizing your companies own security measures and things of that nature. I suppose you could look for jobs at companies that specialize in that type of thing, and might be writing codes to prevent and remove viruses. Anyhow it would be nice if somebody else had some good info on this topic, as I'm a student right now to and havn't really been out in the feild yet :).

This may help in some ways, I am going for a Software Engineer. I met a student going towards what you are interested in. He had pretty much all my classes except a few and added a few specific classes for that field. You can think of it this way, You'll know more about the field then some one who generalizes in the field.

Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security

Is what my college would provide for a security, network programming.

Also, Utah will becoming more of a technology area as soon as the government builds the largest information technology building in the world. Other states like California, Colorado, also government jobs will be available.

As for languages, I am not sure. I can bet there made from the major programming languages, c, c++, java, python, ruby, lua.(These choice are general, scripting and source code, A few are better for scripting.) I believe it comes down to what network you'll be working on.

As for working at home, networking can or may enable you to work from home sometimes. I believe any network will require trouble shooting on site issues that may require you to be there.

I am currently a student in computer Information Technology and I would like to ask those of you who are experienced working in this field.
I didn't really know what forum to post this, so I am posting in Python because I love the language and have posted here before.

1) What kind of programs would I write if I where a network programmer?

2) What languages would be required?

3) What field would you recommend getting into. "I.E. Security, Technician, Network Admin... ect"

4) What states would be the best to get a job in?

5) Could I work at home?

Those are the basic questions. Any extra information, comments, and experiences are welcome. Thank you for your time.

I am currently in an associates degree program designed around cisco.
Would that be enough to land a decent job? 40k/yr +?

I know some of the questions are stupid, and I have read about this field.
I would like to know from real people instead of some graph based on an average.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.