Hi,
I have the problem that a char ch2 = '\u0041' is confirmed as a character and also printed as "A", but the char ch3 = '\u00c6' , which is also confirmed as a character, is not printed only as a "?" where it is supposed to be a "æ".
I know I have missed some thing, probably fundamental, but what?
My best try is to convert to a string, but that is not working either - or I also do that wrong...
Any help or hint is greatly appreciated.
The program is as follows (I´m sorry, can´t get the linenumbers copied):

using System;
using System.Globalization;

namespace lektion2
{
	class MainClass
	{
		public static void Main ()
		{
		 char ch1 = 'A',         
         ch2 = '\u0041',                                            
         ch3 = '\u00c6', ch4 = '\u00d8', ch5 = '\u00c5',  ch6;

Console.WriteLine("ch1 is a letter: {0}", char.IsLetter(ch1));  
		Console.WriteLine("ch2 is a letter: {0}", char.IsLetter(ch2));
		Console.WriteLine("ch3 is a letter? : {0}", char.IsLetter(ch3));
		Console.WriteLine("ch4 is a letter? : {0}", char.IsLetter(ch4));	
		Console.WriteLine("ch5 is a letter? : {0}", char.IsLetter(ch5));
   		Console.WriteLine("The \u0041 is {0}", (ch2)); 

string s1 = char.ToString(ch3);
	 	Console.WriteLine("The ch3 is {0}", s1);		

ch6 = char.Parse("B"); 
    		Console.WriteLine("Numreric value of 3 is: {0},\nand 'a' has the numeric value:  {1}", char.GetNumericValue('3'),         
                                 char.GetNumericValue('a'));
		Console.WriteLine("ch6 is a letter: {0}", char.IsLetter(ch6));

}
	}
}

And the output:
ch1 is a letter: True
ch2 is a letter: True
ch3 is a letter? : True
ch4 is a letter? : True
ch5 is a letter? : True
The A is A
The ch3 is ?
Numreric value of 3 is: 3,
and 'a' has the numeric value: -1
ch6 is a letter: True

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The ch3 is Æ is what printed on my system. I don't think I have any settings on for international characters so I'm not sure why it worked.

In your IDE does '\u00c6' appear brownish with the syntax highlighting?

The ch3 is Æ is what printed on my system. I don't think I have any settings on for international characters so I'm not sure why it worked.

In your IDE does '\u00c6' appear brownish with the syntax highlighing

I use monoDevelop on a mac book pro, I still don´t get the "æ", but I´ll keep trying. Nice to know it works on your system though ;-)

I use monoDevelop on a mac book pro, I still don´t get the "æ", but I´ll keep trying. Nice to know it works on your system though ;-)

And the syntax highlighting is the same all over - it does not indicate any difference from the '\u0041' which is returned as expected...

I use monoDevelop on a mac book pro

Gotcha. Well I'm using the old fashioned VC# express. Google around and see if there is some setting for wide characters that needs to be set. I would only be guessing.
I would tag your post (see further down on this page) with "mono" or "monoDevelop" as it may attract those in the audience using those systems/tools.

Never tagged before, meant to tag only monoDevelop but with the extra restriction that it is on mac - now it looks like 4 different tags...ups.
Do you know if it is possible to edit the tags?

Gotcha. Well I'm using the old fashioned VC# express. Google around and see if there is some setting for wide characters that needs to be set. I would only be guessing.
I would tag your post (see further down on this page) with "mono" or "monoDevelop" as it may attract those in the audience using those systems/tools.

Never tagged before, meant to tag only monoDevelop but with the extra restriction that it is on mac - now it looks like 4 different tags...ups.
Do you know if it is possible to edit the tags?

Found it, is now corrected to only tag mac and monoDevelop.

Click back on Tag this thread and you can uncheck the ones you don't want.

From MonoDevelop´s Mac-support page I have now read that input methods are not supported for MonoDevelop on Mac, and so many languages characters cannot be inout. As the /u00c6 is a special Danish character it is unfortunately not supported yet :-( But problem has been detected, and thank you very much - jonsca - for all your help :-).

Link to the mac -support page at MonoDevelop: http://monodevelop.com/Developers/Mac_Support

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.