Hi,
I have the problem that a char ch2 = '\u0041' is confirmed as a character and also printed as "A", but the char ch3 = '\u00c6' , which is also confirmed as a character, is not printed only as a "?" where it is supposed to be a "æ".
I know I have missed some thing, probably fundamental, but what?
My best try is to convert to a string, but that is not working either - or I also do that wrong...
Any help or hint is greatly appreciated.
The program is as follows (I´m sorry, can´t get the linenumbers copied):

using System;
using System.Globalization;

namespace lektion2
{
	class MainClass
	{
		public static void Main ()
		{
		 char ch1 = 'A',         
         ch2 = '\u0041',                                            
         ch3 = '\u00c6', ch4 = '\u00d8', ch5 = '\u00c5',  ch6;

Console.WriteLine("ch1 is a letter: {0}", char.IsLetter(ch1));  
		Console.WriteLine("ch2 is a letter: {0}", char.IsLetter(ch2));
		Console.WriteLine("ch3 is a letter? : {0}", char.IsLetter(ch3));
		Console.WriteLine("ch4 is a letter? : {0}", char.IsLetter(ch4));	
		Console.WriteLine("ch5 is a letter? : {0}", char.IsLetter(ch5));
   		Console.WriteLine("The \u0041 is {0}", (ch2)); 

string s1 = char.ToString(ch3);
	 	Console.WriteLine("The ch3 is {0}", s1);		

ch6 = char.Parse("B"); 
    		Console.WriteLine("Numreric value of 3 is: {0},\nand 'a' has the numeric value:  {1}", char.GetNumericValue('3'),         
                                 char.GetNumericValue('a'));
		Console.WriteLine("ch6 is a letter: {0}", char.IsLetter(ch6));

}
	}
}

And the output:
ch1 is a letter: True
ch2 is a letter: True
ch3 is a letter? : True
ch4 is a letter? : True
ch5 is a letter? : True
The A is A
The ch3 is ?
Numreric value of 3 is: 3,
and 'a' has the numeric value: -1
ch6 is a letter: True

Edited 6 Years Ago by NoviceChrilill: Problems using the BBcode declaring the syntax

The ch3 is Æ is what printed on my system. I don't think I have any settings on for international characters so I'm not sure why it worked.

In your IDE does '\u00c6' appear brownish with the syntax highlighting?

Edited 6 Years Ago by jonsca: n/a

The ch3 is Æ is what printed on my system. I don't think I have any settings on for international characters so I'm not sure why it worked.

In your IDE does '\u00c6' appear brownish with the syntax highlighing

I use monoDevelop on a mac book pro, I still don´t get the "æ", but I´ll keep trying. Nice to know it works on your system though ;-)

I use monoDevelop on a mac book pro, I still don´t get the "æ", but I´ll keep trying. Nice to know it works on your system though ;-)

And the syntax highlighting is the same all over - it does not indicate any difference from the '\u0041' which is returned as expected...

I use monoDevelop on a mac book pro

Gotcha. Well I'm using the old fashioned VC# express. Google around and see if there is some setting for wide characters that needs to be set. I would only be guessing.
I would tag your post (see further down on this page) with "mono" or "monoDevelop" as it may attract those in the audience using those systems/tools.

Never tagged before, meant to tag only monoDevelop but with the extra restriction that it is on mac - now it looks like 4 different tags...ups.
Do you know if it is possible to edit the tags?

Gotcha. Well I'm using the old fashioned VC# express. Google around and see if there is some setting for wide characters that needs to be set. I would only be guessing.
I would tag your post (see further down on this page) with "mono" or "monoDevelop" as it may attract those in the audience using those systems/tools.

Never tagged before, meant to tag only monoDevelop but with the extra restriction that it is on mac - now it looks like 4 different tags...ups.
Do you know if it is possible to edit the tags?

Found it, is now corrected to only tag mac and monoDevelop.

From MonoDevelop´s Mac-support page I have now read that input methods are not supported for MonoDevelop on Mac, and so many languages characters cannot be inout. As the /u00c6 is a special Danish character it is unfortunately not supported yet :-( But problem has been detected, and thank you very much - jonsca - for all your help :-).

Link to the mac -support page at MonoDevelop: http://monodevelop.com/Developers/Mac_Support

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.