I have a quick question with visual studio. This is the first program I have ever tried with the 2010 version and get the following error...

1>------ Build started: Project: test, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 1/17/2010 4:53:30 PM.
1>_PrepareForBuild:
1> Touching "Debug\test.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>ClCompile:
1> All outputs are up-to-date.
1>ManifestResourceCompile:
1> All outputs are up-to-date.
1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan Kruep\My Documents\test\Debug\test.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:09.67
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Can someone familar with 2010 let me know what I am doing wrong because I cannot seem to figure it out whether I have a setting wrong or something not installed correctly. Here is my code...

//This program calculates the user's pay
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
	double hours, rate, pay;

//Get the number of hours worked
	cout << "How many hours did you work? ";
	cin >> hours;

//Get the hourly pay rate
	cout << "How much do you get paid per hour? ";
	cin >> rate;

//Calculate the pay
	pay = hours * rate;

//Display the pay
	cout << "You have earned $" << pay << endl;

return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

When you select a project go for Win32 Console Application, deselect precompiled headers and leave empty project unchecked. That usually takes care of it. I'm behind on the times as I don't have the latest and greatest yet but seems to me most of that is unchanged.

Yep, seems you created the wrong sort of app (its expecting a WinMain, which is part of a graphical app, you want a console application).

I know in VS2008 (p,s i think 2008 is way better than 2010), you choose new project -> C++ -> Win32 -> Win32 Console application and make sure you DONT tick anything like precompiled header, CLR, MFC, ATL etc.......

DO not choose Win32 project. You want Win32 Console application.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.