Hai

I have to provide icons for my C# application (just like any other application!)

But what is the optimum size of these icons used for different purposes?

GUI has a icon, menu has got images etc.
I got downloads in which different sizes of icons and even images in png format which also sometimes called as icons , so it seems.

What is the rule in these cases?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Icons for menu strips are 16px X 16px, and this is the default size for the Imagelist control.

Standard application icons contain 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and in Vista and Win 7 they added 256x256.

Tool bar icons are also typically 16x16 But the developer has complete control over that decision. You can create Icons in any size you see fit and use them in your applications. 24x24 is a popular toolbar icon size based on that decision. But as monitors get larger, and screen resolutions get larger, icons will continue to get larger as well to compensate.

I use the ArtIcons Pro tool from this site from time to time.
perhaps you could ask them for more info. You can download a trial version.

Hai

I have to provide icons for my C# application (just like any other application!)

But what is the optimum size of these icons used for different purposes?

GUI has a icon, menu has got images etc.
I got downloads in which different sizes of icons and even images in png format which also sometimes called as icons , so it seems.

What is the rule in these cases?

Thanks

I'd use the following...

16x16 - Notification area, UI (e.g. buttons) and title-bar icons.
24x24 - Toolbar icons.
32x32 - Main application icons (e.g. for the desktop .etc).

There's a really nice set of icons if you google "Crystal Projects". I've never used them as .ico files (they're in .png format), but I guess you could convert them with a 3rd-party tool. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.