hey does anyone know if i am using the srand() fucntion correctly to randomly choose if a persons letter is X or O?

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
using namespace std;

int main() {
srand(time(0));
int playerTurn = rand() % 2;
char initPname;
if (playerTurn == 1) 
		{
			initPname= 'X';
			playerTurn++;
                        cout << "Your Letter is X.";
		} else 
		{
			initPname = 'O';
			playerTurn--;
                        cout << "Your letter is O.";
		}
return 0;
}
Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by corby
Featured Replies
  • Looks ok to me -- just remember that srand() is executed only once during the entire lifetime of the program while rand() is executed as many times as you need it. Read More

jonsca 1,059   7 Years Ago

It looks ok. I'm confused as to why you are incrementing and decrementing playerTurn in the branches of the if. Read More

Looks ok to me -- just remember that srand() is executed only once during the entire lifetime of the program while rand() is executed as many times as you need it.

It looks ok. I'm confused as to why you are incrementing and decrementing playerTurn in the branches of the if.

It looks ok. I'm confused as to why you are incrementing and decrementing playerTurn in the branches of the if.

oh i just copied the code from a program im creating(tic tac toe). im just using that to alternate turns. ill put that in a function and call it to do said task.

You might have it set up backwards then. Rand() % 2 gives 0 and up to but not including 2. If the value is 1 it gives 'X', which is ok but then it increments giving 2. If the value is 0 it gives 'O', but then it decrements giving -1.

Edited by jonsca: n/a

You might have it set up backwards then. Rand() % 2 gives 0 and up to but not including 2. If the value is 1 it gives 'X', which is ok but then it increments giving 2. If the value is 0 it gives 'O', but then it decrements giving -1.

oh ok ill change it then tnx

yea i fixed it the decrement and increment where in the wrong brackets. thx for pointing it out

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.