When using Microsoft Visual Studio, building in release the code just hangs and fails to execute but with Debug it builds and runs to the end. And I don't see why there should be a difference.
I did a shutdown then clean and a rebuild of solution but the behaviour persisted. I was wondering should there be any difference between the two versions or is this a sign that something else has gone wrong with my computer?
I am using classes that I use a lot, combined with a class I wrote tocombines two ordered vectors of strings each with an associated vector of ints.
In effect I am trying to merge two
map<string, int> into one. The sizes move upto around 100000 elements
I am doing this with iterators, push_back and insert
other possibly pertinent facts:
- it compiled and built the release solution once today with code that should not have compiled as I had a bool function with no return.
- I am using absolute file locations on the same pc
- I had a crash earlier in release when the debugger complained of being unable to attach hook process.
- I am running XP and there is a virus circulating uni computers but I am unsure if my computer has been exposed
- I am processing a large number of files on my D: there is around 140Gb of 200Gb currently in use in about 15,000,000 files
Any thoughts as to what might explain this behaviour would be appreciated - or any advice that should ensure everything is reset properly.