Hi guys,

I have a weird issue here. I'm writing an automated backup program that, well, performs automated backups of set folders to a set location. It has a GUI and a Windows service. The service has a timer (system.timer) that checks every 10 seconds whether a backup needs to be performed. If it does, it fires a method in a public static class to start the backup.

Now, this works fine on my PC, and on 2 other test PC's that I've used (Windows 7 32bit multicore, Windows 7 32bit singlecore, and XP 32bit multicore). But on some others, with the same specs, it doesn't work. The method isn't fired at all, which I *assume* to be a threading issue. I just don't know why. Are there any typical things I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Anyone have any ideas?

First, when you say "method isn't fired at all" - are you talking about the timer, or the method the timer is supposed to call? Can you validate that at least the timer is firing?

Also, do all of the machines have the same version of the .NET Framework, with all patches/updates installed?

First, when you say "method isn't fired at all" - are you talking about the timer, or the method the timer is supposed to call? Can you validate that at least the timer is firing?

Also, do all of the machines have the same version of the .NET Framework, with all patches/updates installed?

Sorry for the late reply.. I have a suspicion the problem is solved (was a totally stupid mistake on my part with some faulty checks running in the timer event), but the app is being tested by a few people now to make sure everything's ironed out. I'm not 100% sure the faulty checks were related to the problem, but so far, so good. If the threading problem creeps up again, I'll post some more info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.