Hello.
Can someone explain what this InitialContext(): is looking for?

public JDBCSchoolofdbDAO() {
        try {
            Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
            Context envCtx = (Context) initCtx.lookup(
                    ModelUtils.getResource("JavaCompEnv"));
            dataSource = (DataSource) envCtx.lookup(
                    ModelUtils.getResource("DataSource"));
        } catch (NamingException x) {
            ModelUtils.log(x);
            throw new InternalError(x.getMessage());
        }
    }
DAO=schoolAppModel.dao.JDBCSchoolofdbDAO

#/////////////////////////////////////////////////

# DAO=jsfdb.model.dao.JDBCSubscriberDAO

#/////////////////////////////////////////////////

JavaCompEnv=java:comp/env
DataSource=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/schoolofdb 
user=root
password=xxxxxxxx
pr 16, 2010 8:12:31 AM model.ModelUtils log
SEVERE: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
        at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:645)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:288)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:325)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
        at model.dao.JDBCSchoolofdbDAO.<init>(JDBCSchoolofdbDAO.java:35)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
        at model.ModelUtils.getNewUserDAO(ModelUtils.java:49)
        at view.LoginInfoBean.loginAction(LoginInfoBean.java:50)
        at view.SchoolJDesktopPane.login(SchoolJDesktopPane.java:157)
        at view.SchoolJDesktopPane.<init>(SchoolJDesktopPane.java:106)
        at view.Main.createJDesktopPane(Main.java:35)
        at view.Main.main(Main.java:30)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
        at model.dao.JDBCSchoolofdbDAO.<init>(JDBCSchoolofdbDAO.java:41)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

AFAIK, you need to have a JNDI server running to make any sense of InitialContext. This isn't a problem with managed environments like a servlet container or an application server since all the configurations needed for an InitialContext lookup are already taken care of.

How are you exactly running this application? Standalone java program? A web application? If the latter, which server are you using? Creating a Datasource and publishing it as a JNDI resource requires a bit of configuration which is different for each application server.

If it's the former, I personally haven't worked with standalone Java applications which make a reference to a JNDI resource. However, reading this might help you out.

Hows it going thanks for reply

I got an example that was MVC web app and I am trying to use that structure. I is confusing because I have to figure out what I don't need. I am building a JDesktopPane App which is trying to connect to a database I built.

thanks for the link I think it will help when I change this pseudo program to web app.

Hows it going thanks for reply

I got an example that was MVC web app and I am trying to use that structure. I is confusing because I have to figure out what I don't need. I am building a JDesktopPane App which is trying to connect to a database I built.

thanks for the link I think it will help when I change this pseudo program to web app.

The server is a personal GlassFish v3 Domain.

I don't under stand what my property value should be just to connect

#

#
JavaCompEnv=java:comp/env

If you are using Glassfish, you need to configure a datasource, publish it to the JNDI server and then access it using the specified JNDI name. Read this for more details.

For standalone applications, creating a JNDI datasource seems like an overkill. For your desktop application which database are you using? Is is used in server mode or embedded mode? I can't recommend an appropriate approach unless I know this detail.

If you are using Glassfish, you need to configure a datasource, publish it to the JNDI server and then access it using the specified JNDI name. Read this for more details.

For standalone applications, creating a JNDI datasource seems like an overkill. For your desktop application which database are you using? Is is used in server mode or embedded mode? I can't recommend an appropriate approach unless I know this detail.

The database is MySQL . I am not sure of the type. I believe it is embedded.

The database is MySQL . I am not sure of the type. I believe it is embedded.

Looking at the configuration in your first post, it doesn't seem like an embedded database to me; more like MySQL running in server mode. This setup won't work for a desktop application unless you plan on making your users run a MySQL server instance on their machines before using your application. For using embedded databases, google for 'java embedded database sample'.

On a related note, please don't ask help via PM's; since I don't have the time to render 1:1 help. Ask questions here on forums where everyone would have a look at your code and others would be benefited with the answers.

Thanks for the links I have a lot of reading to do
an embeded MySql may do the trick. I'll have to look into that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.