my java programs are not running. actually they are running but the are invisible. I click on task manager and they show running. I actually click on the screen and you hear an error ding as if you are clicking on the window in a wrong spot. I have windows 7 and the latest Java program 6 update 20. I have tried uninstalling java/reinstalling java. Installing an earlier version. still not working. How do I get this fix?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Cut your program down to the smallest/simplest version that shows this problem and post your code here (don't forgte the CODE tags) - 1.6u20 definitely does display windows correctly with Win 7, so there's probably something wrong with your code.

what code are you referring to

Perhaps someone else would like to handle this one. Good luck. J

what code are you referring to

your Java code

looks to me like you might've forgotten to put

this.show();

in your code

Hi stultuske.
He claims that he gets an "error ding" from the place where the window should be - which isn't consistent with the window not being made visible. I have no idea how he expects us to diagnose his code when he won't post it!
And, show() is deprecated for Swing Components - use setVisible(true) instead.

the window is there, but you can not see it. On my desktop if hold my right click and drag the mouase you see the box where it is located. It's just invisible. I tried changin my background to basic color and still no visible box with options to change. I can't get into my java options to see a code or change it because it is not visible. I know I am not the only only one to have experience this problem. Please help. I would like to continue using my java programs

There's no way we can diagnose this without seeing the program. Like I said before: Cut your program down to the smallest/simplest version that shows this problem and post your code here (don't forget the CODE tags)

hold my right click and drag the mouase you see the box

Is the "box" you see part of your program? Can you describe what you see?
Can you take a ScreenPrint and save the image and post it here?

when i make a frame i do this

JFrame aframe = new JFrame();
aframe.setVisible(true);

every time you make something its invisible tell you set its visible property.

Mike

edit woops missed that jamescherrill had that

Did you make this program yourself? Because if it is yours, post the code (the words that you write into your programming IDE (application for producing programs, example: netbeans, Eclipse, notepad, etc.)) onto this thread. example:

This is my code that I copied from my IDE: Netbeans:

import java.applet.*;
import java.awt.*;

class myApplet extends Applet {

@Override
 public void init() {
System.out.println("I am running init()!");
}

@Override
public void paint(Graphics g) {
System.out.println("I am running paint(Graphics g)!");
resize(100, 100,);
g.drawString("Hello!", 15, 15);
}
}

That is just an example.

I can't get into my java options to see a code or change it because it is not visible.

we are talking about the code you've written, the .java files

@JamesCherrill: didn't write anything in Swing the last ... years, didn't really follow it either, but you're right. it's better to use .setVisible(true);

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.