Hello,

I'm a Python/SPSS (DANIWEB) beginner and I'm having a hard time getting classes, functions and methods into the right order. I want to write a script for SPSS where I can read text out of an text object from the SPSS-output file. My code looks like this:

import SpssClient                                                 

SpssClient.StartClient()

OutputDoc = SpssClient.GetDesignatedOutputDoc()                     
OutputItems = OutputDoc.GetOutputItems()
OutputDoc.ClearSelection()

for index in range(OutputItems.Size()):
    OutputItems = OutputItems.GetItemAt(index)
    text = OutputItems.GetTextContents()
    if text.find("  Number of cases read:  0    Number of cases listed:  0") >= 0:
        OutputItems.SetSelected(True)

SpssClient.StopClient()       
print "fertig!"
OutputDoc.Delete()

error Message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\\io\userdaten\EPIDEMIOLOGIE\Matthias\- Skripte\DingeEntfernen.py", line 11, in <module>
text = OutputItems.GetTextContents()
AttributeError: 'SpssClient.SpssOutputItem' object has no attribute 'GetTextContents'

I know that the I'm not using the "SpssOutputItem" Class inside my code. Why is it inside the error message?
The "GetTextContents" method is inside the "SpssLogItem" Class. How do I call these classes in the right way? I studied all the instructions but I can't get it right...
Could anyone help me please?

DerKleineDude
Deleted Member

In this line
OutputItems = OutputItems.GetItemAt(index)
you are redefining OutputItems as a single output item, which, of course, then does not have a method GetItemAt.
Do it as
OutputItem = OutputItems.GetItemAt(index)
and then use GetTextContents on that.

HTH,
Jon Peck

I see what you meant. I double called the methods. I corrected other mistakes in that category, but it is still not working.

import SpssClient                                                 

SpssClient.StartClient()

OutputItem = OutputItems.GetItemAt(index)
    text = OutputItem.GetTextContents()
    if text.find("  Number of cases read:  0    Number of cases listed:  0") >= 0:
        OutputItem.SetSelected(True)

SpssClient.StopClient()       
print "fertig!"
OutputDoc.Delete()

Error Message:
..., line 10, in <module>
AttributeError: 'SpssClient.SpssOutputItem' object has no attribute 'GetTextContents'

I still know "GetTextContents" is inside the "SpssLogItem" Class and not in "SpssOutputItem". Why is it returning such an error?!

Not all output items have the GetTextContents method, e.g., header items, so you need either to check the type before calling the method or, better, just use a try/except block to catch and ignore the exception and proceed to the next item.

Use test printing, put before line 10 as test:

print OutputItem,type(OutputItem)

Ok. I tested variable "OutputItem" by inserting "print". Before line 10 the output is:

<SpssClient.SpssOutputItem object at 0x01306360> <type 'SpssClient.SpssOutputItem'>

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "...test.py", line 11, in <module>

I guess this leads to this:

Not all output items have the GetTextContents method, e.g., header items, so you need either to check the type before calling the method or, better, just use a try/except block to catch and ignore the exception and proceed to the next item.

"OutputItem" takes the first item which is a LOG (SPSS Log containing the information of the SPSS-Syntax).
Then it tries to compare the LOG with the text "...Number of cases read...". This leads to an error.

Am I right?

Thanks for the help so far. At the moment I'm trying to set up a try/except block.

Two more problems:

First, before you can call GetTextContents, you have to call GetSpecificType. For example,
OutputItem = OutputItems.GetItemAt(index).GetSpecificType()

Another minor problem, you need to call the Delete method BEFORE calling StopClient.

HTH,
Jon Peck

Two more problems:

First, before you can call GetTextContents, you have to call GetSpecificType. For example,

Another minor problem, you need to call the Delete method BEFORE calling StopClient.

HTH,
Jon Peck

I already fixed the "Delete" method in my version and all the other little things ;-)

At the start of this post I tried to call "GetSpecificType" but it led to:

AttributeError: 'SpssHeaderItem' object has no attribute 'GetTextContents'
I inserted it at the same place as you did.

OK. Here is an entire script (embedded as a program), that just prints whatever text it can find in the objects.

begin program.
import SpssClient
SpssClient.StartClient()
  try:
    print index, OutputItem
    print text
  except:
    pass
OutputDoc.Delete()
SpssClient.StopClient()
print "fertig!"
end program.

Thanks for the code. This was my major problem. Now that I know the "text" variable is filled right, I just need to read out the content and compare it with my string.

Thanks so far! I will publish the code when it's done. And if I fail, I'll write again. ;-)

Edited 6 Years Ago by DerKleineDude: n/a

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.