Hi Guys, I need to make remote app control via network where I can lock a computer and terminate all applications running. currently I don't have any technical direction on how to lock and terminate. I have no problem where to start on network and sockets!
please point me to the right direction/resource

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Well you will need an application running on the target machine.

This app needs to get the details of all the current running processes. What you may actually want to do is get a list of the current open windows. Unfortunately the computer cannot distinguish between a normal app and say winlogon.exe.

As for locking the computer, you need to make a modal window, that's full screen and can only be closed with a certain keycode. Unfortunately control alt delete will still be in effect, unless you write a keyboard filter driver to intercept the keypress.

Note: Any attempt to block, capture or redirect keyboard input WILL be flagged by most anti-virus software as a virus/trojan.

Have fun :)

As for locking the computer, you need to make a modal window, that's full screen and can only be closed with a certain keycode.

Thanks a lot, that is a big leap in my project!

Unfortunately control alt delete will still be in effect, unless you write a keyboard filter driver to intercept the keypress.
Note: Any attempt to block, capture or redirect keyboard input WILL be flagged by most anti-virus software as a virus/trojan.

Have fun :)

Thanks for a note. I hope someone will propose best method for that! I will be on google though ;)
Thanks gazillion

Since my main target is to block internet traffic after I lock the screen (guess what), then I decided I would make proxy server/Kind of filter.
Anyone comment on that? I'm searching tutorials

If you're locking input, then it's safe to assume that you can simply disable the network adapter? Or will you need remote access to the machine?

If you're locking input, then it's safe to assume that you can simply disable the network adapter? Or will you need remote access to the machine?

That is cool solution, but as I said, I need to lock/Unlock remotely.
I guess it will be easy to disable but then I will not be able to enable remotely :)

In which case you go beyond my knowledge and into the realms of firewalls and packet filtering.

Sorry ^^

Is there a way to divide the physical Ethernet card into logical?
Iam afraid the world of firewalls and packet filters can be too complex for me. Have anyone tried to do it?

I would say that your question would be similarly difficult to implementing a packet filter, but I honestly don't know.

I did just think though, you could always just remove the default gateway/proxy address and thereby remove all ability for it to communicate out to the internet, but you will still be able to dial in. Additionally, the machine will still be able to access local network resources.

I know the shell command to do it (using net sh) but I don't know how to do that programatically, although it shouldn't be too difficult.

Enumerate the network adapters, pick the one you want, adjust the settings ^^.

Hmm I think you can do it like this ipconfig /release

Iam afraid the world of firewalls and packet filters can be too comlex for me. Have anyone tried to do it?

Hmm I think you can do it like this ipconfig /release

That wouldn't do what is required. The release command will "release" any currently held IP address and allow DHCP re-assignment. Therefore it would effectively disable the adapter. It would no longer have any valid IP Address. So the OP would not be able to connect to it afterwards, which has been stated as required.

Iam afraid the world of firewalls and packet filters can be too comlex for me. Have anyone tried to do it?

You double posted ^^ (I'm posting a new message so you get PM'd about the other responses :))

Sorry for double posting. I have flagged the posts and Mod will delete it. <<mod edit: Done>>
I'm thinking of making virtual adapters that will be remotely disabled and the other will be used to send commands. I guess that is possible. So I'm going into googling

Did you see my other reply on page one? I think that would be a much simpler solution for you. Creating a virtual adapter is going to be bordering on VPN ;)

I did just think though, you could always just remove the default gateway/proxy address and thereby remove all ability for it to communicate out to the internet, but you will still be able to dial in. Additionally, the machine will still be able to access local network resources.

I know the shell command to do it (using net sh) but I don't know how to do that programatically, although it shouldn't be too difficult.

Enumerate the network adapters, pick the one you want, adjust the settings ^^.

Ooh! I missed this very useful post.
Would you explain how you do that in command? Yes it shouldn't be hard programatically.
Note that the user (Whom is not admin) should not be able to revert these things.

Thanks for great post

Hehe, this link on CodeProject will be your best resource and certainly saves me the time of explaining how to do it ;)

Hehe, this link on CodeProject will be your best resource and certainly saves me the time of explaining how to do it ;)

Nope, Actually It have confused me! Can you explain a bit what is happening there?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.