I have written a program that will generate a random maze and solve it. The program uses a multidimensional array of a class that holds bool values for each wall, whether or not to show an * for the path taken, and if it is a dead end.

here is the class

#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;
class MazeCell
{
public:

// ============================================================================================
	// Routine: Class Constructor
	// Purpose: Allows setting the default values of the class when instantiated by the host.
	// ============================================================================================
	MazeCell()
	{
		wallNORTH = false;
		wallEAST = false;
		wallSOUTH = false;
		wallWEST = false;
		path = false;
		deadEnd = false;
	}
	// Routine: SetWalls
	// Purpose: Allows setting (or updating) the values of the class references at any time.
	void SetWalls(bool pNorth, bool pEast, bool pSouth, bool pWest, bool pPath, bool pDeadEnd)
	{
		wallNORTH = pNorth;
		wallEAST = pEast;
		wallSOUTH = pSouth;
		wallWEST = pWest;
		path = pPath;
		deadEnd = pDeadEnd;
	}
	void SetNorth(bool pNorth){
		wallNORTH = pNorth;
	}
	void SetEast(bool pEast){
		wallEAST = pEast;
	}
	void SetSouth(bool pSouth){
		wallSOUTH = pSouth;
	}
	void SetWest(bool pWest){
		wallWEST = pWest;
	}
	void SetPath(bool pPath){
		path = pPath;
	}
	void SetDeadEnd(bool pDeadEnd){
		deadEnd = pDeadEnd;
	}
	// Routine: Get[Wall]
	// Purpose: Function returning if wall is open or closed.
	bool GetNORTH() { return wallNORTH; }
	bool GetEAST() { return wallEAST; }
	bool GetSOUTH() { return wallSOUTH; }
	bool GetWEST() { return wallWEST; }
	bool GetPath() { return path; }
	bool GetDeadEnd() { return deadEnd; }

private:
	// ===[ Internal Class Declarations ]==========================================================
    bool wallNORTH;       // Represents whether or not the NORTH wall is open or blocked
	bool wallEAST;        // Represents whether or not the EAST wall is open or blocked
	bool wallSOUTH;       // Represents whether or not the SOUTH wall is open or blocked
	bool wallWEST;  	  // Represents whether or not the WEST wall is open or blocked
	bool path;
	bool deadEnd;
};

class pos
{
public:
	void curPos(int pX, int pY)
	{
		row = pX;
		col = pY;
	}
private:
	int row, col;
};

and here is the declare the array.

const int MazeHEIGHT = 10;
const int MazeWIDTH = 10;
MazeCell theMaze[MazeHEIGHT][MazeWIDTH];

the problem is that instead of using a const int value for the width and height, I want to take in the users input and then make the array. Right now i have the array as a global of type class. I tried to make the array using pointers but had no success. Do i need to do away with the array and if so what should i use.

There are a couple of options.

1) Use std::vector< std::vector >
2) Use dynamic arrays
3) Create a static array, with big enough size, and get the limited user's input as size. And use that variable, as the max size.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.