I was copying a c++ program and i came tosee something like this: char a[10][10]= {....}
What does a[10][10] means?? what does the symbol [] do? Pls help me...

[] means how many spots you will get in the char veriable. this is called an array. what you just saw was a 2d array.

char username[10]

that line of code means you can now store 10 chars in the username veriable.
this is useful when you want to store more then one char.

a 2d array is pretty much the same but now it stores one in the first slot and one in the second slot. so you could use it to keep track of a tic tac toe game for instance.

here is an full example using the comand line on how to use a single array
this example makes an array with int. you can make an array with any legal syntax for storing veriables.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(){
	int Array[4]; //declares a veriable called Array with 4 slots

cout << "Enter a number: ";
	cin >> Array[0]; // you must always remeber that it starts at 0 and not 1

cout << "Enter a second number: ";
	cin >> Array[1];

cout << "Enter a third number: ";
	cin >> Array [2];

Array[3] = Array[0]+Array[1]+Array[2]; // this means that you will only have to Array[3] since it starts at 0

cout << "The sum is: " << Array[3] << "\n";//display whats stored in Array[3]. that is what was just done above.
	cin.ignore(); //ignores the enter so i can use the cin.get()

cin.get(); //waites for user to press enter to close the programe
}

and here is an example i found on http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson8.html on a 2d array

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  int x;
  int y;
  int array[8][8]; // Declares an array like a chessboard

for ( x = 0; x < 8; x++ ) {
    for ( y = 0; y < 8; y++ )
      array[x][y] = x * y; // Set each element to a value
  }
  cout<<"Array Indices:\n";
  for ( x = 0; x < 8;x++ ) {
    for ( y = 0; y < 8; y++ )
      cout<<"["<<x<<"]["<<y<<"]="<< array[x][y] <<" ";
    cout<<"\n";
  }
  cin.get();
}

Edited 6 Years Ago by cgcgames: n/a

This [] type of symbol is used in arrays and using it twice ([][]) called two dimensional arrays and using thrice ([][][]) called three dimensional array.
by using arrays one can save his unnecessary efforts by declaring extra variables.....
for eg: you can add 10 numbers by declaring 10 different variables
(just an eg: for a very beginner)
(int v1,v2,v3.....,v9,v10) but it will takes your lots of time and extra effort you can also do it by using a simple and reliable declaration int v[10]. This declaration means now you can store 10 integers in memory. you can use loops for easy initialization for eg:

for(i=0;i<=9;i++)
scanf("%d",&v[i]);

now again look up at your problem....

char a[10][10]= {....}

this means you declare a two dimensional array having 10 columns and 10 rows which will be assign at run time (may possible at compile time)

= {....}

you can initialize any array at compile time as well as run time depends on your program.
i hope you understand this topic little bit by reading this......
for more details you must go though deep study of books and spend time on your system.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.