I'm trying to solve a sudoku checker for a game I'm building in C. Essentially these nested for loops are supposed to check through the smaller boxes of 9 numbers to ensure there are no duplicates. Unfortunately, the continue seems to make the checker not work. :(

576 -------the "5"s should trip up the function to send the show_banner() warning

The reason the first if statement exists is to make sure that the original coordinate is not check against itself. So, if I just typed the two in the above example, I want the for loops here to check everything, but the two that I typed (And in this case the warning would not be displayed.)

I troubleshooted the for loops and found that when I do eliminate the first if statement the banner does show up properly, but the loops are still checking the inputted value against itself.

i also tried inputting != into the top if statement and then placing the second if statement under the first one, but it still didn't work.

I hopped around the message boards and could not find an answer to this particular dilemma, so please help!!!

for (int k = 0; k < 2; k++)
        for (int l = 0; l < 2; l++)
            if (((((g.y/3)*3)+k) == g.y) && ((((g.x/3)*3)+l) == g.x)) 

if (g.board[((g.y/3)*3)+k][((g.x/3)*3)+l] == g.board[g.y][g.x])
                    show_banner("You sure that's a good move?");

7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by thelamb

The 'math' in your if statements is very sloppy, it's hardly readable what's going on.

First off, why are you doing stuff like

if( (g.y/3)*3 == something )

g.y/3 * 3 is the same as g.y

So the two if reads:

if( g.y+k == g.y && g.x+l == g.x ) 

if( g.board[g.y+k][g.x+l] == g.board[g.y][g.x] )

So, now that things look clearer what exactly do you need to do?
- Take the element at [0,0], compare to every other element in the set.
- Take the element at [0,1], ...
- etc.

I think you can get that working.

Now, you say that the element that it currently being checked should not be checked to itself. Why not? Where is the harm?

If I check for duplicates in the array [ 0 1 2 2 ].
I'd take the first element 0, compare it to 0, 1, 2, 2 increasing a number when they are equal. At the end of this loop you can just say 'There are duplicates if I found more than 1 match'.

Hope that helped

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.