void Allocate( char* s )
{
s = (char*)malloc( 100 );
}

int main( )
{
char* s = NULL;
Allocate( s );
strcpy( s,"Test");/*I know that this will fail. b'coz I still have a NULL pointer in s. Initially s was pointing to NULL, and from the function Allocate 100 bytes of memory was allocated in some memory location, and address of s was made to point to that location. But inside the main, s is still pointing to NULL. Pl. correct me if I am wrong.*/

}

Now my question is

void Allocate( Base* s )
{
s = new Base;
}

int main( )
{
Base* obj = NULL;
Allocate( obj );
obj->some_member = 20; // this works...

}

<< moderator edit: added [code][/code] tags >>

So I assume, object pointers are passed to functions in a different way compared to primitive type pointers. Can anyone pl. comment on this.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

All passing is by value unless otherwise specified. As you want the changes reflected back to the calling function you will need to pass either a reference to a pointer a char*& or a pointer to a pointer a char** or alternatively return a pointer by value rather than void.
object pointers and primitive type pointers behave exactly the same. Your code is wrong its that simple.

(In other words, don't be confused by the * in char *, treat char * like int and it will be clear...)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.