Can anyone tell me where to get started to get an md5 or sha1 checksum of a given file.

I've searced around and all I can find are utilities, I also looked at wincrypt but It seems to me that it just does passwords and strings and suchlike.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Crikey!

I dowloaded from cryptopp and loaded into visual studio, and my head is just spinning looking at it all.

Its going to take me some time to just extract what I need to learn for just md5 or sha1.

I guess I just thought It would be a simple function which took a filepath and outputted a hash. As usual I was wrong, I have some serious reading to do, I'll be back in a few days I reckon.

Thank you very much for the links, they are very usefull to me and much appreciated.

Suze.

Thats the ticket, superb.

Thanks.
I have searched for some time for an example like that, and was not aware of wincrypt.
Although it works fine, I still have some reading up on it, before I can use it.

Again, Cheers guys.

Solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.