Can anyone tell me where to get started to get an md5 or sha1 checksum of a given file.

I've searced around and all I can find are utilities, I also looked at wincrypt but It seems to me that it just does passwords and strings and suchlike.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

.. my head is just spinning

If the libraries seem daunting, you might check out a basic MSDN CryptoAPI example [URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382380%28v=VS.85%29.aspx"]Creating an MD5 Hash from File Content[/URL].

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

Crikey!

I dowloaded from cryptopp and loaded into visual studio, and my head is just spinning looking at it all.

Its going to take me some time to just extract what I need to learn for just md5 or sha1.

I guess I just thought It would be a simple function which took a filepath and outputted a hash. As usual I was wrong, I have some serious reading to do, I'll be back in a few days I reckon.

Thank you very much for the links, they are very usefull to me and much appreciated.

Suze.

Thats the ticket, superb.

Thanks.
I have searched for some time for an example like that, and was not aware of wincrypt.
Although it works fine, I still have some reading up on it, before I can use it.

Again, Cheers guys.

Solved.