Hi,

I'm writing a program in C++ that is driven by events that occur externally to the computer. As far as the program is concerned the event is just a change from false to true and I figure the simplest transmission mechanism would be over a single pin on the serial port (as the only other ports free are USB).

How would I go about getting my program to be interrupted when a wire on the serial in goes high?

As I'm only using the port for simplex communication can I ignore the handshaking usually used with the serial port?

Thanks in advance, Matt.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You may have better luck in the C forum.

My (quite limited) history with using serial ports is that I've always used them for data, not pin high/pin low. I've used the "Java Comm" package and a similar class with Visual C++ (can't for the life of me remember which, but it was not part of Visual Studio. Someone else wrote it and I paid $30 or whatever for it). I didn't get into pin high/pin low, but rather used it as data. It had ready made Event Listeners, so when you received a byte from the serial port, there's your interrupt right there. I would think that pin high/pin low would be delving too low into the serial port mechanics. Unless there's a reason to deal with high and low pins, I would imagine it would be easier and better to send a byte at a time. I've done so with a PIC microcontroller.

Anyway, that's my two cents. As I said, my history is limited. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.