Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Farhad.idrees
Featured Replies
    Narue 5,707   6 Years Ago

It depends on the type and scope of the variable. Can you be more specific? Read More

int types are always initialized (to zero). You can check if a string type is null ([icode]if (myString == null) { // Not initialized[/icode]. In general, a null reference means the variable doesn't have an object. Read More

Narue 5,707   6 Years Ago

[B]>int types are always initialized (to zero).[/B] This misconception is why I asked for a more specific question. As an example, local variables are not automatically initialized, which means there's no way to check them without relying on compiler warnings/errors. [code] static void Main(string[] args) { int i; // Not … Read More

int types are always initialized (to zero). You can check if a string type is null ( if (myString == null) { // Not initialized .

In general, a null reference means the variable doesn't have an object.

>int types are always initialized (to zero).
This misconception is why I asked for a more specific question. As an example, local variables are not automatically initialized, which means there's no way to check them without relying on compiler warnings/errors.

static void Main(string[] args)
{
    int i; // Not initialized (value type)
    string s; // Not initialized (reference type)

// ...
}

Also, you should use the static String.IsNullOrEmpty method to check for uninitialised strings.

Also, you should use the static String.IsNullOrEmpty method to check for uninitialised strings.

but what is benefit of using static string?

I meant the static method of the String class IsNullOrEmpty , not that the string itself is static. This static method checks whether the string is unitialised or initialised to String.Empty .

Comments

I meant the static method of the String class IsNullOrEmpty , not that the string itself is static. This static method checks whether the string is unitialised or initialised to String.Empty .

hmm got it..

Comments
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.