Hello,

I'm having some troubles working with strtok. I'm having a string of numbers I want to put in an array, and say from the list I want to get an array with 1,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13,14.

First I just wanted to see the single numbers in one place and split that 5-9 in another place as it would need to be treated differently. But after the first 5-9, where it splits the 5-9, properly into 5 and 9, it doesn't do anything more.

Probably ain't the most efficient code, but been trying to make it work one way or another, so thats why i got all those printfs.

Why is pch going NULL where as with no "if" code, it properly parses the whole string by ",".

/* test for input of a list */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
	char str[]="1,3,5-9,10,12-14";
	char *pch;
	char *pch1;
	char *temp;
	int i;

pch = strtok(str,",");
	while (pch != NULL)
	{
		printf("debug0 %s\n",pch);
		temp = strdup(pch);
		pch1 = strchr(temp,'-');
		printf("debug1 %s\n",temp);
		printf("debug2 %s\n",pch);
		if (pch1 != NULL)
		{
			pch1 = strdup(temp);
			pch1 = strtok(pch1,"-");
			while (pch1 != NULL)
			{
				i = atoi(pch1);
				printf("p %d\n",i);
				pch1 = strtok(NULL,"-");
			}
			printf("debug3 %s\n",pch);
		}
		else {
		i = atoi(pch);
		printf("%d\n",i);
		}
		free(temp);
		free(pch1);
		printf("debug5 %s\n",pch);
		pch = strtok(NULL,",");
		printf("debug6 %s\n",pch);
	}
	return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

When I deal with a string like this, that just isn't "quite right", the first thing I like to do, is make it "right".

char str[]="1,3,5-9,10,12-14";

One pass through a for loop would remove both the comma's, and replace the hyphens with a space. Then, use sscanf(), to get all the numbers.I don't have to move the end of string char.

And Welcome to the Forum, Aimbo! ;)

In this case simply replacing the hyphens with spaces will not do it. For example 5-9 means 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. Assuming that is the case, the code in lines 22-33 won't work. You need to extract the two numbers in the string "5-9" then create a loop that processes all the numbers between (and including) those two.

Oh of course! I thought it was just "dirty" input, but the hyphen has to be dealt with if it means "continue the numbers in series, from left to right".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.