Hey ., need to know does turbo c work for ubuntu as well and if not what editor-cum-compiler should be used?
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You might be able to get it to run under DosBox. I don't use Linux, so I don't know if it would work under something like Wine or dosemu. You should probably just use the gcc which is in all likelihood part of your distro.

As for an IDE, Code::Blocks is a nice cross platform IDE that will work in Windows and Linux. I've heard a a lot of people speak highly of kdevelop, but I have never used it.

commented: why would you mention DosBox wtf what are you thinking -2
commented: If you haven't used it then wtf r u thinking to tell others... -1

code::blocks is a great IDE. Also Netbeans with the "C++ - plug-in" works really nice.

Use gcc for the compiler, use whatever editor (Emacs or vim) for the editor. Anjuta looks good but it's unnecessary.

Use gcc for the compiler, use whatever editor (Emacs or vim) for the editor. Anjuta looks good but it's unnecessary.

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
The designers seem to think it's cross-platform.
Look before you leap.

Windows	 0.74	 Win32 installer
[B]FreeBSD package	 0.74	 TBZ
Fedora	 0.74	 rpm
Gentoo Linux	 0.74	 portage
Source	 0.74	 Source [/B]
Mac OS X	 0.74	 dmg (Universal)
RISC OS	 0.74	 zip
Solaris 10 - sparc	 0.73	 pkg
OS/2	 0.72	 exe (OS2)
BeOS	 0.63	 binary (x86)
Old dosbox versions	 0.50-0.73	 source + binary(x86)

Ubuntu should come prepacked with g++.

If not:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

For dependencies, then...

sudo apt-get install g++

It's a command-line compiler, meaning you'll have to operate it from the command prompt. If you don't like that idea, you could get code::blocks, and IDE, from the software center. Just search for Code Blocks, it should be there.

Ubuntu should come prepacked with g++.

If not:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

For dependencies, then...

sudo apt-get install g++

It's a command-line compiler, meaning you'll have to operate it from the command prompt. If you don't like that idea, you could get code::blocks, and IDE, from the software center. Just search for Code Blocks, it should be there.

Yes first get build essentials. That comes with necessary stuffs for GCC

Lightweight IDE I would recommend is Geany. Heavy ones I have ever used and hence recommend are
1. CodeLite (to present I use this)
2. Code::Blocks
3. Anjuta

I use Qt Creator in Ubuntu (which uses gcc as its comipler by default, but all this will get installed when you select it from the repository). It's quite a nice place to work, the defaults are reasonable and I generally prefer qmake to automake. It's also (obviously) very good if you want to write applications in Qt :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.