I am a beingger for using Python,now I am doing a palindrome program,but I have tried many time it still doenst work, can anyone help me to fix it??Thanks a lot!!!!!

Here is the code:

s=input("Enter alphabetic characters: ")
def palindrome(s):
    index=0
    c=True
    while index<len(s):
        if s[index]==s[-1-index]:
            index +=1
            return True
        return False
if palindrome(s)==True:
    print ("This is alphabetic characters")
else:
    print ("This is not alphabetic characters")

Recommended Answers

you should check only half way of the word discarding non-alphabet letters in multiword case. Your print should say palindrome. There is also simple way of checking if word is equal to it reversed.

Jump to Post

At least read the output printed by your script ! woooee has been nice enough to add traces to your script, don't expect s/he isn't going to DO IT for you.
HINT: How many times do you expect " print "comparing", s[index], s[-1-index], "for index", index " to be executed …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

you should check only half way of the word discarding non-alphabet letters in multiword case. Your print should say palindrome. There is also simple way of checking if word is equal to it reversed.

I am not quite sure how to fix it....
can you tell me more details?
Thank you~

We usually get the palindrome homework questions earlier in the year. To solve your problem, add some print statements at the very least:

def palindrome(s):
    index=0
    c=True
    while index<len(s):
        print "comparing", s[index], s[-1-index], "for index", index
            index +=1
            print "returning True"
            return True
        print "returning False"
        return False
if palindrome(s)==True:
else:

We usually get the palindrome homework questions earlier in the year. To solve your problem, add some print statements at the very least:

def palindrome(s):
    index=0
    c=True
    while index<len(s):
        print "comparing", s[index], s[-1-index], "for index", index
            index +=1
            print "returning True"
            return True
        print "returning False"
        return False
if palindrome(s)==True:
else:

Thank you~~but sometimes it doesnt work~~such as:"afhhjkloia" it will show it is palindrome

I am not quite sure how to fix it....
can you tell me more details?
Thank you~

At least read the output printed by your script ! woooee has been nice enough to add traces to your script, don't expect s/he isn't going to DO IT for you.
HINT: How many times do you expect " print "comparing", s[index], s[-1-index], "for index", index " to be executed and check how many time is it actually executed.

HINT: How many times do you expect " print "comparing", s[index], s[-1-index], "for index", index " to be executed and check how many time is it actually executed.

Thank you~~~ I am trying it,hope it can work~

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.