Hi,

I'm currently designing a software application for teaching, it will have a large backend database, short animation videos(basic 2d of people talkin). I'm just looking for some advice in what is the best language to code this type of project in. I have done several projects in both java and c and c++ and have an extensive knowledge of several other programming languages. The software i'm developing would have to packaged in an installer file with license key .i.e. msi file and installed as an exectuable. I have done this for c++ before but unsure if this is the best language for my type of software. Any advice or guidance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,

I'm currently designing a software application for teaching, it will have a large backend database, short animation videos(basic 2d of people talkin). I'm just looking for some advice in what is the best language to code this type of project in. I have done several projects in both java and c and c++ and have an extensive knowledge of several other programming languages. The software i'm developing would have to packaged in an installer file with license key .i.e. msi file and installed as an exectuable. I have done this for c++ before but unsure if this is the best language for my type of software. Any advice or guidance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

well it depends on whose using it. if only windows users will then c++ might be fine , but if you want cross platform support i suggest java.

Thanks for your reply. At the moment i'm only doing it for windows but have later plans to make a mac version available. Would you be able to recommend any good sites or books on guidelines for developing through java with desktop applications? I'm just unsure how i would package java applications. I have developed through java before but had some performance issues with it and with the scale of project i'm about to make, i was fearful of java performance issues.

Java is pretty good for desktop applications, I would consider C# or Java for anything that has a substantial user interface. Unless you are doing some serious processing, I wouldn't consider the performance to be an issue, so c++ would (in my opinion) just be making extra work for yourself.

Thanks for all yere help with this, have decided to go ahead and code this project in java.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.