Hi DW, I'm extremely new to DaniWeb. I have been coding in C++ for about one month. I'm thinking about coding in Python too. But, I'd like to ask some newbie question's about it first.

I'd like to know what it's used for. I think it's mostly used for web application's.

I'd also like to know if it has a runtime environment For example, Java's runtime environment is the JVM(Java Virtual Machine), at least I think so.

Also, is Python a language that's actually used? Like do many companies use Python?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'd like to know what it's used for. I think it's mostly used for web application's.

Python is used in all application you can think off.
Python is strong in web application's as you say with many good Web Frameworks.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks
Pyhon also have strong GUI-toolkit like wxpython,PyQT,PyGTK and bulid-in Tkinter.

I'd also like to know if it has a runtime environment For example, Java's runtime environment is the JVM(Java Virtual Machine), at least I think so.

To run a Java program, you must have Java's Runtime Environment installed on your machine.
To run a Python program, you must have Python's Interpreter installed on your machine.
Allmost all linux distros an mac comes with python pre install.

Python easy to install just 1min and it`t ok on windows.
For stand alone application there are tool like py2exe,cxfreez,Gui2exe,portable python also using installer like inno-setup for making a good looking installer.

Also, is Python a language that's actually used? Like do many companies use Python?

http://www.python.org/about/quotes/

Python is used successfully in thousands of real-world business applications around the world, including many large and mission critical systems. Here are some quotes from happy Python users:

commented: Goos one. +1

I just started doing python and i found out that it's great, adding to what snippsat said, it's opensource, it's cross-platform and it's evolving by the day. It's also very sly just like a python, things you find hard to do in other languages you do easily in python, for example Nokia did a training in my school and it's pertaining to the fact that Nokia wants to start coming out with python phones in the nearest future, It's sure a good one.

Development time of a fair sized project is usually ten time faster with Python (a high level language) than with C++ ( a low level language).

Python is used in all application you can think off.
Python is strong in web application's as you say with many good Web Frameworks.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks
Pyhon also have strong GUI-toolkit like wxpython,PyQT,PyGTK and bulid-in Tkinter.

To run a Java program, you must have Java's Runtime Environment installed on your machine.
To run a Python program, you must have Python's Interpreter installed on your machine.
Allmost all linux distros an mac comes with python pre install.

Python easy to install just 1min and it`t ok on windows.
For stand alone application there are tool like py2exe,cxfreez,Gui2exe,portable python also using installer like inno-setup for making a good looking installer.

Thank you. Very good answer. lulz

Python is the best bro, try it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.