I am trying to get to the "Wireless Network Connection" which we can normally get to by right clicking on that pc icon in the system tray & selecting the "View Available Wireless Networks" option. Is it possible to bring up that window through code using Windows SDK? I tried gettting to it through running some *.cpl files. But that only takes me to the Network Connections window. How to get to that "Wireless Network Connection" window directly. Is it a child window or something?

Alternatively I tried making a shortcut for that window but that's not possible. The best that can be done is making a shortcut for the "Wireless Network Connection" window(the one with the "Properties","Disable" & "View Wireless Networks" buttons), but I still need to click on the "View Wireless Networks" button to get to the window I'm trying to get to. Even running the shortcut is somehow currently not working using the ShellExecute function. But I think that must be me doing something wrong.If I can get that shortcut working through code, is it possible to simulate a double tab & a click so that the "Wireless Network Connection" comes up?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

For what it's worth, I'm running Vista and Windows 7 here (on separate laptops), and each has a "Manage Wireless Networks" item, rather than "View Wireless Networks". Also each has a vastly superior manufacturer-provided interface: "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility" and (untitled custom-chromed window, accessed via "Lenovo's Internet Connection" link from "Network and Sharing Center").

On my Dell/Vista box, Process Explorer shows the Microsoft "Manage Wireless Networks" dialog as being a variant of Windows Explorer (with specific command-line arguments passed to have it display its contents):

"C:\Windows\explorer.exe" /e,/root,::{21ec2020-3aea-1069-a2dd-08002b30309d}\::{1FA9085F-25A2-489B-85D4-86326EEDCD87}

I fear those weird long strings are being fetched from the registry, good luck with that! Or maybe, as you suggested, there's a short-cut or wrapper program somewhere that's easier to invoke.

Unfortunately , I am working on XP. I searched the net & I think there is a way to do it for Vista & Windows 7.But it doesn't work on XP. In XP also, it is shown as a variant of Windows Exlorer. If it had a specific exe associated with it, then this would have been easier :P

Btw exactly what to do with the process ids assuming it works on Windows XP ? I am kinda new to this so I don't know. Help!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.