I have a string "Hello". How can I copy this string into an array in words e.g 'H', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o'.

Thanks in advance

I have a string "Hello". How can I copy this string into an array in words e.g 'H', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o'.

Thanks in advance

a string is nothing more then an array of chars, so if you want to split up the strings letters into a different string array seperatly you could do something like this:

string myString = "blah";
			string[] myArray= new string[myString.Length];
			for(int i = 0; i<myString.Length; i++){

myArray[i] = myString[i].ToString();
			}

As has been mentioned, a string IS an array, of characters. You can use it like an array already, so there isn't really a need to convert it explicity. Perhaps if we knew what you were trying to do, we could give better advice.

string theString = "hello";
char[] theStringAsArray = s.ToCharArray();

yes of course, some how i forgot about that

the simplest solution is that:
string str="hello";
char[] ch = str.ToArray();
want to knpw that sting is totally converted into char array so used foreach loop because it iterate all elements in array..
foreach(char a in ch)
{
Console.WriteLine(a);//used console application for output
}

Comments
A simpler solution would have been to read the forum rules, and figure out that bumping a 4 year old thread was a bad idea

The two main methods of accessing the characters of a string have been mentioned here. I thought i'd also mention the string.split function. It won't split a word into characters, but it can be used to split a string into its composite substrings. I put all the methods together in a console app so you could see the similarities/differences:

class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            string helloString = "Hello World";
            Console.WriteLine(helloString[0]); //reference char by index
            foreach (char ch in helloString) //iterate through char collection
            {
                Console.Write(ch);
            }
            Console.WriteLine();

char[] helloChars = helloString.ToCharArray(); //explicitly convert to char array
            Console.WriteLine(helloChars[0]); //ouput content of array position
            foreach (char ch in helloChars) //iterate through char array
            {
                Console.Write(ch);
            }
            Console.WriteLine();

char[] seperators = { ' ' }; //declare array of characters that will mark seperation of 'words'
            string[] helloStrings = helloString.Split(seperators); //split string into array of substrings
            Console.WriteLine(helloStrings[0]);//output first substring
            Console.WriteLine(helloStrings[1]);//output second substring

Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }

The first two blocks of code really highlight what has been said here. Whilst you can convert a string to an array of characters, it is in fact already an array of characters. You can access each by index, and iterate through them the same way.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.