In writing a logging program for a SDK Engine, I have come across some problems. The logging function works fine when called with test programs, but when I run it in a full test of the SDK Engine, no file is ever created. I added some testing lines to make sure the function is getting called, and it is. The directory was properly created the first time I ran the program, but the file never is. Strange thing is, the file failbit flag is never set, and the is_open() function returns true, but the file does not exist.
Here is the code of the Write function, with the diagnostic lines added to write to standard output:

int Log::Write(std::string to_write) {
/*test*/ printf("log.write called");
	//function to write message to a logfile
	if(stat(strPathname.c_str(), &sb) == 0 && S_ISDIR(sb.st_mode))
	{
		//do nothing; directory is present - continue with log writing
	}
	else
	{
		mkdir(strPathname.c_str(), NULL);
	}
	std::ofstream logfile;
	logfile.open("log.txt", std::fstream::out | std::fstream::app); //append to end of file
/*test*/ if(logfile.fail()){printf("\nlogfile fail\n");}else{}
/*test*/ if(!logfile.is_open()){printf("\nfile is not open\n");}else{}

logfile << getTime() << " " << to_write << std::endl;
	logfile.close();

return 0;
}

In the application, the class is initialized and the functions are called like this:

Log logger;
logger.Write(to_write);

Does anyone have any idea why the file is never created? ofstream.open() should create the non-existent file. The file is created in /var/HHPVideoServer (running on Ubuntu Linux), and the application is run with root permissions to allow it to create the directory if needed and use the files.

Recommended Answers

You forgot to chdir(strPathname.c_str()) The logfile is created, but in the wrong place.

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

You forgot to chdir(strPathname.c_str()) The logfile is created, but in the wrong place.

commented: Thanks for the help. +3

Thanks. I had actually just figured this out, but thanks for the answer. I was stuck for awhile.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.