I am developing an application in which I have two JPanels (aPanel and bPanel) added to a parent JPanel (cPanel). I need to be able to double click on either aPanel or bPanel to change its color. If I double click on aPanel, it changes color as desired. When I double click on bPanel, its color does not change but aPanel's does. I have tried using the following methods to ID the panels: contains(), getComponentAt() and findComponentAt() but all give the same undesired behavior. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. The relevant code section is provided. (The code compiles but the "beep" never executes)

if(aPanel.findComponentAt(me.getX(), me.getY())==aPanel){
   aPanel.setBackground(chosenColor);
}            

else  if(bPanel.findComponentAt(me.getX(), me.getY())==bPanel){
    Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().beep(); //to test if this is being executed
    bPanel.setBackground(chosenColor);
}

The "me" comes from public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent me), and another section of the code that uses "me" is working fine.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

there areSwingUtilities more than two methods (child to parent, parent v.s. childs, getDeepestComponentAt)

I found another way to solve this problem:

if(me.getSource()==aPanel){         
                    aPanel.setBackground(chosenColor);
                }            
              else if(me.getSource()==bPanel){
                    bPanel.setBackground(chosenColor);
                             }

... too hard to pretend tha we are neither psychic nor sitting in front of your monitor...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.