Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

Here's the the question...

1. Declare an enumeration type consisting of the nine planets in their order by distance from the Sun (Mercury first, Pluto last).
2. Write a value-returning function that converts the name of a planet of the enumeration type declared in Step 1 into the corresponding string. The planet is an input parameter and the string is returned by the function. If the input is not a valid planet, return “Error”.
3. Write the main function with a For statement that prints out the names of the planets in order, using the enumeration type declared in Step 1 and the function declared in Step 2.

Here's what i've gotten so far...

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

{
enum Planet {MERCURY, VENUS, EARTH, MARS, JUPITER, SATURN, URANUS, NEPTUNE, PLUTO};

string enump[] = {"Mercury", "Venus", "Earth", "Mars", "Jupiter", "Saturn", "Uranus", "Neptune", "Pluto"};

return 0;
}

I know im missing quite a few things i'm new to this and trying my best ... looking forward for your help ... thanx

You got the first step correct -- to create a enum list.

Now your next task is to create a function that given a Enum Planet, it returns the string version of its name. here is a start.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

enum Planet {MERCURY, VENUS, EARTH, MARS, JUPITER, SATURN, URANUS, NEPTUNE, PLUTO};

string toString(const Planet& p){
 string str = "";
  switch(p){
   case MERCURY: str = "MERCURY"; break;
   //...
   case PLUTO : str = "PLUTO"; break;
   default : //..error none of the case mathced!
 }
 return str;
}
int main(){
 //...
}
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.