I have a basic understanding of how to create A(1) check box, and repeating that method over and over again to create more. However, this makes for messy as shit code, plus I don't feel like doing this method 30 times to create the needed 30 check boxes. So I figured a loop is my best bet and came up with:

JCheckBox ChckBxNme;

String[] anArray = { “one”,”two”,”three”}

for(int x = 0; x < anArray.length; x++){

ChckBxNme = new JCheckBox(anArray[x] );
ChckBxNme.setMnemonic(KeyEvent.VK_C); 
ChckBxNme.setSelected(false);

add(ChckBxNme);
}

Code works, but what I would expect is 3 use-able check boxes, but that isn't the case. I get one check box with labeling of what ever string value is in the last element of the array.

I narrowed the problem down to the reference: JCheckBox ChckBxNme; which is out side of the loop. Since there is only one JCheckBox being referenced, the loop just updates said singular reference.

So the question is, how do I make the reference... dynamic so that instead of 1 check box I get multiple, also that whole ChckBxNme is annoying and I would love to use the names in the array as the ChckBxNme, so the reference would be something like JCheckBox anArray[x]. However I know this doesn't work, I get the error that an "object" was expected and not a string.

Also, for right now I'm not worried about "using" the checkboxes for now.

for(String name : chkNms) {

JCheckBox checkBox = new JCheckBox(name);

checkBox.setMnemonic(KeyEvent.VK_C);
	    checkBox.setSelected(false);

add(checkBox);

}

Solved using the above code provided by a buddy.

Member Avatar for hfx642

Or, you could use...

String anArray[] = { “one”,”two”,”three”}
JCheckBox ChckBxNme[] = new JCheckBox [anArray.length];  // This creates the required number of JCheckBoxes based on the number of item in your String array

for(int x = 0; x < anArray.length; x++){

ChckBxNme[x] = new JCheckBox(anArray[x] );
ChckBxNme[x].setMnemonic(KeyEvent.VK_C); 
ChckBxNme[x].setSelected(false);

add(ChckBxNme[x]);
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.