Hello! I am currently looking for some help or ideas in a specific area of Python programming.

The project I am having problems with pertains to python print drivers, and printing in a Linux OS.

I had originally wanted to find a way (if possible) to write a python print driver for a Linux box I have; but the main issue I have is how to get the code to communicate with the kernel.

Is it possible to write a piece of code that upon kernel start up, be able to translate a USB print driver written in python to C? OR is it possible to just skip the notion of having to load the specific driver in the kernel, and just use a print driver written in python?

OR

Is there a way to send data (whether it is text, file, or strings) directly to the printer itself via python code?

How would I go about doing something of this nature? I have searched high and low and have found very little to go by to accomplish this task. I have always thought python was a very flexible and versatile language but I am having trouble finding information that would pertain to this subject.

The printer normally uses CUPS printing, if that would help at all.

I greatly appreciate any input on the matter.

Thank you,

Page

Recommended Answers

lpr is the print spooler on Linux so you should be able to do something similar to

import subprocess
subprocess.call("lpr "+filename.txt, shell=True)

"man lpr" will give you all of the print options that lpr supports.

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

lpr is the print spooler on Linux so you should be able to do something similar to

import subprocess
subprocess.call("lpr "+filename.txt, shell=True)

"man lpr" will give you all of the print options that lpr supports.

Thank you, I'll check it out. I appreciate the input.

If there is any other methods, I would like to know. I just like to gather as much information on the topic as possible, and then make a decision on how to go about it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.