hi at all,
i'm wirting a program (a chat) to connect two process via socket using ssl connection.
In order to make portable this chat i've written a single body formed by two threads, the first has a client behaviour (users can connect to other users) and the second thread stays on listening for connections.
I've found many howtos that show how to use ssl, but using two different process (client and server), i've found i've to use this two command:

java -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=mySrvKeystore -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=<pass> Client
for client

java -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=mySrvKeystore -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=<pass> Server

for server.

I've already tried to use each these commands but the processes launch an exception.
How can i do in my case?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

but the processes launch an exception.

What was the exception?

I receive two different exceptions depending which process i've used as Server and which as Client:
For Client

javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.checkEOF(SSLSocketImpl.java:1293)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(AppInputStream.java:65)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:264)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:306)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:158)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:167)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:136)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
	at ClientThread.run(ClientThread.java:126)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:174)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1649)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:241)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:235)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1206)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:136)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:593)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Handshaker.java:529)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:893)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1138)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:632)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(AppOutputStream.java:59)
	at java.io.PrintStream.write(PrintStream.java:430)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.writeBytes(StreamEncoder.java:202)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implFlushBuffer(StreamEncoder.java:272)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flushBuffer(StreamEncoder.java:85)
	at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flushBuffer(OutputStreamWriter.java:168)
	at java.io.PrintStream.write(PrintStream.java:477)
	at java.io.PrintStream.print(PrintStream.java:619)
	at java.io.PrintStream.println(PrintStream.java:756)
	at ClientThread.run(ClientThread.java:124)
Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:323)
	at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:217)
	at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:218)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:126)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:209)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:249)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1185)
	... 16 more
Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.engineBuild(SunCertPathBuilder.java:174)
	at java.security.cert.CertPathBuilder.build(CertPathBuilder.java:238)
	at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:318)
	... 22 more

and for server:

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:174)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:136)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.recvAlert(SSLSocketImpl.java:1720)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:954)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1138)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readDataRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:753)
	at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(AppInputStream.java:75)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(StreamDecoder.java:264)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(StreamDecoder.java:306)
	at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(StreamDecoder.java:158)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:167)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:136)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
	at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
	at ClientThread.run(ClientThread.java:96)

However following and trying the howtos that i've found, all go well.
Instead if i try with the same Class (called Client) even though i use two different thread for each process, i receive these exceptions.

Perhaps i've found the issue; any certificate i've created don't works for my program, but if i use the same program compiled and combined with a certificate made by a friend of mine (using his computer and tested on mine) all works well.
What could be the problem?

Any suggestions?

I assume you are using self signed certificates. Is your friend using a proper signed certificate?

yes i'm using certifacates self signed, even my friend uses the same; but for him all go well. to me not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.