Hi guys.

What my problem is basically either some typo, or I am doing something extremelly wrong. Can't think of something else.

After some time off with C++ I got back with it, creating the simple project to see how well my memory serves me. I am pretty sure that I'm not doing something wrong with this code.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int money= 1000;
string user;

int main()
{
	cout << "Enter username." << endl;
	cin >> user;
	cout << "Welcome! " << endl;
	cout << "You have : " << money << " dollars left.\n" ;

}

Thanks for the help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I am pretty sure that I'm not doing something wrong with this code.

You forgot to include <string>, and the code also does nothing with user after the input call. The following offers some corrections, though your use of global variables is still questionable:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int money = 1000;
string user;

int main()
{
    cout << "Enter username." << endl;
    cin >> user;
    cout << "Welcome, " << user << "!" << endl;
    cout << "You have : " << money << " dollars left.\n" ;
}

That is quite foolish of my side, forgetting such thing. My apologies. Also, I didn't need the input call for anything yet, just wanted to know why it doesn't work.

Anyway, about the global variables, is that a wrong method?

Nevermind, I see Narue found the problem, which I had missed.

Anyway, about the global variables, is that a wrong method?

Variables should have the smallest scope possible. Global variables are especially troublesome because they're visible and usable across the entire program, even areas that don't need access.

Can that cause problems? I should declare local variables instead?

Can that cause problems?

<sarcasm>
No, we just arbitrarily picked something to bash because it makes programming seem more like a voodoo art. :icon_rolleyes:
</sarcasm>

I should declare local variables instead?

You should declare variables with the smallest scope possible.

<sarcasm>
No, we just arbitrarily picked something to bash because it makes programming seem more like a voodoo art. :icon_rolleyes:
</sarcasm>

You should declare variables with the smallest scope possible.

Thanks! :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.