This is my code, but its taking time to save record in excel. In SQL Server table have 11201 rows and 80 columns.

please suggest

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Application app = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application();
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Workbook workbook = app.Workbooks.Add(Type.Missing);
            Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel._Worksheet worksheet = null;
            app.Visible = true;
            worksheet = workbook.Sheets["Sheet1"];
            worksheet = workbook.ActiveSheet;
            worksheet.Name = "Exported from gridview";
            for (int i = 1; i < dataGridView1.Columns.Count + 1; i++)
            {
                worksheet.Cells[1, i] = dataGridView1.Columns[i - 1].HeaderText;
            }
            for (int i = 0; i < dataGridView1.Rows.Count - 1; i++)
            {
                for (int j = 0; j < dataGridView1.Columns.Count; j++)
                {
                    worksheet.Cells[i + 2, j + 1] = dataGridView1.Rows[i].Cells[j].Value.ToString();
                }
            }
            workbook.SaveAs("d:\\output.xls", Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.XlSaveAsAccessMode.xlExclusive, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing);
            workbook.Close();
            app.Quit();

MessageBox.Show("Its saved");
        }

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well, you're making it do 11201 * 80 reads from the grid view so that simply will take time. Is the problem that it is timing out or are you simply looking for a way to make it faster?

Well, you're making it do 11201 * 80 reads from the grid view so that simply will take time. Is the problem that it is timing out or are you simply looking for a way to make it faster?

I am looking faster way.....

Do you even need the grid view? I doubt you are viewing 11000+ rows on the screen. A direct export from the database to XML would be much faster. This is assuming the file doesn't NEED to be a .xls however. If you did that you would, of course, end up with an XML file (which can be opened in excel).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.