Hi, my project works with emulating the file system. I can invent my own as well. I'm developing a unix like shell which will provide all the file handling commands similar to unix. Basically I want to allocate a large file on the actual file system, and treat it as a virtual disk for the file system simulation. In order to implement the file system, I would create and manipulate various data structures on the virtual disk to create and manage the file system. For manipulating the file system's data on the virtual disk, i can use C file functions such as fopen, fread, fwrite etc and implement a unix like shell which will act on this disk. How do I create data structures like superblock, boot block,inode list, within this virtual disk? Is simulating the unix file system tougher? If yes then what other options should i look for?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

superblock - Do you need it? You're designing your own system, aren't you? Why try to duplicate something else, especially if you don't understand it?
boot block - You don't need it. You aren't booting anything. Assume this is a secondary drive. KISS.
inode list - This you need in some form -- of your own design.

superblock - Do you need it? You're designing your own system, aren't you? Why try to duplicate something else, especially if you don't understand it?
boot block - You don't need it. You aren't booting anything. Assume this is a secondary drive. KISS.
inode list - This you need in some form -- of your own design.

Thanks! I have already found sdk boxeadapp. I think it would help me.

Check out EasyHook
Maybe help

Thanks problem is solved)

Thanks! I have already found sdk boxeadapp. I think it would help me.

I've never heard about it... Is it work for Windows?

Yes, of course :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.