hey guys,

k, already 1 month I'm "leaving" my self-study on C++ for certain personal reason, I just learned the C++ two months before also, not much...

I still can type in code and remember how most of the keyword works(that I learned), but I'm losing my ability to "think like a programmer"(aka proficiency), example I can't plan on how to construct the code itself like I usually did, forgot some keyword, etc... :@

should I start again from the beginning of the book that I read?(C++ primer &Accelerated C++) or just plainly continue the chapter before that I leave?

another to note, I'm having hard&busy time now, how much should I invest my time per day atleast? homework and other stuff always getting in my way..

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I'd say continue where you left off, and review previous chapters as necessary.

just continue and review when necessary only???
btw, I'm continue from C++ primer, thought so I'm not lost on what it explained about, I just can't really apply it like I used to be, if I start again, I would start from Accelerated C++ because it's good on teaching on how to think like a programmer, so what do you think should I plan?

start again & finish accelerated C++, then continue on C++ primer or what?

if so, does it enough to set up 4 hours a day?

Don't worry -- what you are experiencing is a common problem; forgetting. Keep on practicing as often as you can and you will eventually be able to remember it. Its very similar to learning to play a musical instrument; it takes lots and lots of practice.

If you forget what you read in those books then re-read them. I always kept two or three books at my side all the time while coding so that I could look up the things I forgot.

Don't worry -- what you are experiencing is a common problem; forgetting. Keep on practicing as often as you can and you will eventually be able to remember it. Its very similar to learning to play a musical instrument; it takes lots and lots of practice.

If you forget what you read in those books then re-read them. I always kept two or three books at my side all the time while coding so that I could look up the things I forgot.

ok then, I take that as "continue with the C++ primer and review anything I forgot". hope everyone can share their own opinion too!

just continue and review when necessary only???

If you remember something clearly, there's no need to review. It's only when forgetting something keeps you from understanding new material that you need to go back and review what you forgot.

If you remember something clearly, there's no need to review. It's only when forgetting something keeps you from understanding new material that you need to go back and review what you forgot.

Unless, of course, you don't remember what you forgot :)

Member Avatar for augustus7

I also have the same problem and like the others say, just power through.

What is your GOAL?
What do you want programming to be for you?
It will only be as important as you make it.

Whatever is your #1 goal in life, you should be working toward that.
Don't stress over it if something else becomes more important as long as it is inline with your plans for your life.

I largely agree with the previous poster.

For me its difficult to learn for the purpose of learning, but easy to learn for the purpose of accomplishing a task. Don't learn C++ to learn C++. Learn C++ to use it for... pick something.

The first thing I did to learn C++ is write a simple Solitaire game. I learned alot from doing that. Soon after I made a Minesweeper game, learned even more.

Say to yourself: I want to do ... this. Begin, and learn things as they become necessary.

What is your GOAL?
What do you want programming to be for you?
It will only be as important as you make it.

Whatever is your #1 goal in life, you should be working toward that.
Don't stress over it if something else becomes more important as long as it is inline with your plans for your life.

ha3, actually I'm not stressed on what to do, but time is very fast you see?! and proficiency is a good thing to have in programming, especially in planing the code. to maintain proficiency, one need invest certain amount of time, that's why I need advice on how much time should I spend per day.

btw, I want to be a physicist/mathematician, programming language may not necessary for my main goal, but I just like to get some skill and earn some extra pocket money, so yeah, I think C++ is not bad choice. what do you think?

@Vastor Always!! C++ never should be a bad choice for anyone. :)

If you are interested in maths then if you go deeper you will realize programming is in some or the other way Maths.

Other computer fields where you yourself will use lot of mathematics is game programming or digital image processing. You can check some stuff about it on the internet maybe you will develop interest in it. It is always good to earn money doing things that you love to do.

And on your very first question, I would suggest just go through the summary of all chapters you had previously read. Some important author notes made in between, or if you have made your own notes besides. You can just go through them and continue where you left and always come back whenever you feel like you are stuck :)

thnx for your encouragement, btw, I think I just continue with Accelerated C++ then because I found it plain reading C++ primer without knowing on how to apply it later on :/

C++ is still a solid language choice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.