I am working on a VS2010 Winform (not ASP web form). I have a copy of the local database on my computer. In this application, I have 3 forms in my application that need to connect to the same database, but different tables. Right now I am defining my connection string in each form something like this:

private string ConnString = "Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=Inspections;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=MyUser;Password=MyPassword";

After I work on my project locally, I need to change it to use the real database on one of our SQL servers, so I change the string in all three forms. I have been reading on ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings but the way it sounds, it is for ASP/Web applications using a web.config file to store database strings? Then I read another page on adding a new item, a Settings File, under Project --> Add New Item... --> Settings File. I was able to set up both of my database strings. How do I call them or retrieve them "globally"? I tried something like:

string conn = Properties.Settings.Default.;

but stopped there because my string name is not showing up after the "Default" property.

you have app.config file where u can place connection strings so that they can be reffered in multiple forms later(globally retrieved)

If you want to be able to switch to a particular database depedent on a particular condition you could use a case statement withing your DB connection method which references at spacific connection string dependent on the case (if statements will work too).

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.