Hi Everbody:

To get rid of specific warning in 2008 vc++ or 2005 vc++

1>c:\documents and settings\user\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\gmt\gmt\gmt.cpp(25) : warning C4996: '_gmtime64': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _gmtime64_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\time.h(209) : see declaration of '_gmtime64'

Project Properties
Configuration Properties
C/C++
Advanced
Disable Specific Warnings
OK

You will find the

define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS 1
define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE 1
pragma warning( disable : 4996 )

Will not work!

Regards herge

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Warning 4996 is the height of stupidity, so I'll hard disable it in the project settings without any hesitation. Go to your project properties, then uder C/C++->Advanced there will be an option for disabling specific warnings. Add 4996 to that list and enjoy never seeing that ridiculous warning again.

Hi deceptikon:
Nothing annoys me more than a warning. With imformation that for a lack of
better word was written by someone missing certain skills?
The odds that a microsoft example will work are Not Good!

Regards Herge

Another way to disable warnings just for specific *.c or *.cpp files is to use pragma

#pragma warning(disable: 4996)

But I like deceptikon's suggestion better.

But I like decepikon's suggestion better.

Me too. I shouldn't have to break my code's portability to disable a spurious warning from the compiler. And in this case I don't, but it does involve a configuration for each project. Slightly irritating, but not nearly as irritating as locking myself into Visual Studio or adding ugly conditional compilation just to silence a warning that doen't apply to me in the first place (I know how to safely use the "unsafe" functions).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.