I have this code

Dim con = New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=C:\Users\Danial\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\ESI_PF_Payroll_V1\ESI_PF_Payroll_V1\Pay.mdf;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True")
con.Open() 
cmd.CommandText = "SELECT Firstname,Lastname FROM Employee where Firstname = @Firstname and Lastname = @Lastname"
cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Firstname", TextBox1.Text)) .Value = TextBox1.Text
cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Lastname", Lname_txt.Text)) .Value = Lname_txt.Text
dr = cmd.ExecuteReader
While dr.Read
    Label4.Text = dr(0)
End While
con.Close()
cmd.Connection = con
adaptor.SelectCommand = cmd
con.Open()
adaptor.Fill(dataset, "O")
Dim count = dataset.Tables(0).Rows.Count
If count > 0 Then
    MessageBox.Show("This Employee Does Exist!")

It does not diffrenciate between
Firstname = some name and Firstname = somename
Lastname = Some Last Name and Lastname = somelastname

sometimes it wors correct like
Firstname = Danial
but sometimes I do like
Firstname = Daniall it also takes it as a yes
why is this happening?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First of all, you should let SQL Server manage the location of your database and use the following connection string

Dim con = New SqlConnection("Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=Pay;Trusted_Connection=yes;")

assuming your database name is Pay. Then use

con.Open()
cmd.CommandText = "SELECT Firstname,Lastname FROM Employee where Firstname = @Firstname and Lastname = @Lastname"
cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Firstname", TextBox1.Text)) .Value = TextBox1.Text
cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Lastname", Lname_txt.Text)) .Value = Lname_txt.Text
dr = cmd.ExecuteReader

If dr.HasRows Then
    While dr.Read
        Label4.Text = dr(0)
    End While
Else
    MessageBox.Show("This Employee Does Not Exist!")

It is possible that both Danial and Daniall exist in the table. I tried your code here and it returns the expected results. One more note - you should also do dr.Close() when you are done reading.

And to answer that actual question - using the query as you have set it up (with parameters) is good protection against SQL injection.

Ok,I have only limited number of entries in my database so I know that only Danial Exists not Daniall,and thank you about the connection string correction.

With the connection string you suggested .
here is the code

Dim con = New SqlConnection("Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=Pay;Trusted_Connection=yes;")
                con.Open()
                cmd = New SqlCommand
                cmd.Connection = con
                cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Firstname", TextBox1.Text)).Value = TextBox1.Text
                cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Lastname", Lname_txt.Text)).Value = Lname_txt.Text

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT Companyname FROM Employee where Firstname = @Firstname"
                cmd.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@Firstname", TextBox1.Text)).Value = TextBox1.Text
                dr = cmd.ExecuteReader
                If dr.HasRows Then
                    While dr.Read
                        Label4.Text = dr(0)
                    End While
Else
Messagebox("This Employee Does not Exists!")

This is the error that comes up

cannot open database"Pay" requested by the login.The Login failed.Login failed for user'My PC Name'.

I assumed that the database name was Pay based on the name of the actual file. I also assumed that because you had specified Integrated Security=True that you were validating based on your current login username. Are you using windows authentication or SQL server authentication?

Windows authentication

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.