which is better for a noob programmer ? netbeans or jcreator?

or any other ? please help me

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Neither. Stick to a programmer's editor and the commmand line compiler until you have a good feel for Java and what's going on. An IDE is just going to add confusion and learning curve to a situation that already has a lot of confusion and learning curve. Then move to an IDE. Professionals use NetBEans or Eclipse.

which is better for a noob programmer ? netbeans or jcreator?

While I agree with James as far as learning how things work under the hood first, it's not unreasonable to move quickly into an IDE once you get a handle on it. In that case I'd suggest JCreator as a first IDE because it's simpler (at least it was when I last looked). Once you start getting more serious, then NetBeans begins to shine as one of the better IDEs.

thanks JamesCherrill and deceptikon.
I am going follow your advice. I have installed jdk and jre.

yes even i too agree with both james. I would suggest you not to go with any IDE until you are proficient enough,because it will not only hinder you from understanding the syntax but also makes you dumb enough to be dependent on IDE for errors.You may use Notepad++ or something similar text editors.

I agree with IIM, Notepad++ is an excellent text editor for a wide range of code writing (Java, HTML, SQL). In saying that, when I work with Java I prefer to use Netbeans but the learning curve of the software was difficult in the beginning. I like they way you can step through each line of code, watch variables, methods, and classes with Netbeans. While taking the Java intro courses in university, we were supposed to use JCreator but I didn't much care for it so I started using Netbeans right away. Others in my class used and still use BlueJ so there is another option.

For a light weight editor, go for Notepad++.

My personal preference is going to be NetBeans rather than jCreator. It is much more simple and is more well known (if you say Oracle is very well known).

But agreeing to an earlier post, there is not such thing as the best. there is only YOUR preference.

thanks IIM,Stuugie and <M/>

I have started learning withour using IDE, also notepad++ seems to be cool and useful, thanks for suggesting notepadd++

@jithinjohny, we are glad that you have solved your question! Do you have any other questions that we have not covered yet about this topic?

For future reference: Netbeans is more frequently encountered in the wild than jCreator, much more frequently, so if you want to learn marketable skills, learning Netbeans will be a better investment than learning jCreator.

That's true, but let me just put in a word for Eclipse. IBM have a big investment in Eclipse, which supprts the SWT GUI classes that IBM tend to use in preference to Swing on Windows projects. IBM look like the biggest single employer of Java developers in the UK, so if that's also true where you are it's a good reason for learning Eclipse rather than NetBeans. (Personally I find both products functionally equivalent, I prefer to use NetBeans because it seems more polished, but most of my work has to be in Eclipse)

NetBean is better than JCreator

there is no 'better', they both have their pro's and con's, but in the end, the IDE is just as good as the developer using it.

one doubt, where to start,.. got a number of ebooks and tutorials, but not able to choose one for an absolute noob :(

Just pick one. It's better to start with something than to sit idly by and wait for the ideal learning material or path.

if you're just starting? use notepad(++) and the command prompt.
learn the language and to use the documentation before you feel confident enough that all the corrections an IDE makes for you are also the corrections as you want them.

i will vote for netbeans.it's really easy..

indeed AdamJack, it's so easy you don't learn how to code, you'll improve your drag-'n-drop skillzzz and rely on the auto-completion function.

an IDE is more suited for more experienced developers.

Just pick one. It's better to start with something than to sit idly by and wait for the ideal learning material or path.

as long as it's not written by Herb Schildt...

as long as it's not written by Herb Schildt...

Much as I despise Herbie's stuff, I'd go so far as to say that learning from any book is better than sitting on your ass and twiddling your thumbs. Bad habits can be unlearned, but not learning in the first place is a shame.

I don't share your optimism... It's better not to learn anything than to learn it in such a broken fashion that you're going to need more time to unlearn the bad habits than it took to acquire them in the first place.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.