Hi there,

Looking for some desperate help with a problem I am encountering. I have a third party product (bentley Geo Web Publisher) that allows you to specify an xslt to transform some tabular content into a HTML page. Everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting error messages about the XML format, like so:

The XML page cannot be displayed 
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missing equals sign between attribute and attribute value. Error processing resource 'http://xxxxxxxxx/InfoRe...

</property><property type="string" name="Contract No">
------------^

This error is varaible depending on the input for the report (this is based on where a user clicks on a map), another error example is below:

The XML page cannot be displayed 
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Element was not closed. Error processing resource 'http://xxxxxxxxx/InfoReportPage.aspx'. Line 159, Position...

</property><property type="string" nam
-----------------------------------------------^

Using Fiddler I can see the XML file being passed to the XSLT and the XML is fine, the XML errors shown above do not correpsond to the XML itself, although what you see is a corrupted version of that XML.

Now, to confuse matters some areas actually work, others don't. More importantly for some areas that don't work, if I zoom in to a closer view and re-run the report I find that it does work, same content, same xslt, different result. When I first ran into the error I successfully recreated on 3 different PCs so, at the time, I ruled out machine specific problems, however yesterday I found that if I run the same webpage, and the same report, on almost any other PC in the office, they all work without any error!

So, does anyone know what might cause something like this? Is there anything on the local PC that could influence, corrupt or otherwise break the XML? I have noticed that here some PCs have the XML4 Parser, some have XML6 but I've already ruled this out. All PCs are running IE8.

Not looking for any silver bullets but just any indication of what might cause this would be helpful!

Oh, one last thing I can't post the XML as it contains some sensitive information.

TIA

Dan

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have you considered that the tool may be truncating the xml file's lines? An xml file can be placed entirely on one line, but that does cause problems for some tools that have a line-length limit.

Yes, but from what I can see in fiddler the entire XML file I being passed to the aspx file and the response shown above shows XML on both sides of the error but with the XML in the middle having been broken...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.