I am new to programming and i am now free for 2 months after my exams, i want to learn some basic and very necessary classes or their functions or objects which are used for file folder handling. Kindly suggest some methods which i can learn.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Do you know the STL? If not check this out.

File folders are directories. From the Linux getdirentries man page:

GETDIRENTRIES(3)           Linux Programmer’s Manual          GETDIRENTRIES(3)

NAME
       getdirentries - get directory entries in a file system-independent format

SYNOPSIS
       #include <dirent.h>

ssize_t getdirentries(int fd, char *buf, size_t nbytes , off_t *basep);

Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)):

getdirentries(): _BSD_SOURCE || _SVID_SOURCE

DESCRIPTION
       Read  directory  entries from the directory specified by fd into buf.  At most nbytes are read.  Reading starts at offset
       *basep, and *basep is updated with the new position after reading.

RETURN VALUE
       getdirentries() returns the number of bytes read or zero when at the end of the directory.  If an  error  occurs,  -1  is
       returned, and errno is set appropriately.

ERRORS
       See the Linux library source code for details.

CONFORMING TO
       Not in POSIX.1-2001.  Present on the BSDs, and a few other systems.  Use opendir(3) and readdir(3) instead.

SEE ALSO
       lseek(2), open(2)

COLOPHON
       This  page  is  part of release 3.22 of the Linux man-pages project.  A description of the project, and information about
       reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.

GNU                               2007-07-26                  GETDIRENTRIES(3)

This will work just fine in C++ as well. Note the reference to opendir(3) and readdir(3). FWIW, the readdir() function has been replaced with the getdents() function. I don't know if any of these work in the Windows environment... :-)

@Nathan, thanks bro.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.