pencil.up();
            pencil.move(200*vx/vz, 200*vy/vz);
            pencil.down();
            pencil.drawCircle(5);
            theta+=.1;
        }

}
}

I am having trouble with this, spefically dealing with the camera.
This program uses gpdraw, http://205.173.45.43/staff/charity_purse/eric_ferrante/www/WebLessons/gpdraw/html/gpdraw/DrawingTool.html I dont know how to upload the .jar file to use it in program, but I can make a google docs if necessary.
I have a CH4 methane molecule, with the C at (0, 0, 0), and one H at (0, 1, 0). The other ones are places appropriately, with a y value of -1/3 (if I am correct). They rotate about the y-axis; only those with y-value -1/3 will change their x and z values according to the variable theta (changes by .1 radians). the variables vx, vy, vz represent tghe coordinates of the 'camera'.
My calculation is this: I construct a line between the camera and the point to be 'looked at'. I see where this line intersects the plane z=1 (simplest one), and that point's x and y values are what are put onto the screen.
(screenx=vx+(vz-1)(x-vx)/(vz-z);screeny=vy+(vz-1)(y-vy)/(vz-z); these formulas should be correct (please check them?)

My problem is this.
When I set my camera to (0, 0, 2) the central carbon appears to be coplanar with the three rotating points! This is clearly not correct, as they have a y value of -1/3. Furthermore, their y position on the screen should be changing because their plane does not pass through the camera! What is going on?

Recommended Answers

whats gpdraw?

your post is quite laborious on the eye , maybe if you 1st describe how you are trying to solve it through your program , people here can help you out better.

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

whats gpdraw?

your post is quite laborious on the eye , maybe if you 1st describe how you are trying to solve it through your program , people here can help you out better.

gpdraw is just basically a class/jar file that creates a new window and has a bunch of methods for drawing stuff on the screen, it creates a 'drawingtool' object that is much like a real life pencil.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.