Hi!
HERE IS MY PROBLEM
==============
I'm interested in a function that opens for editing, then saves and closes in turn all the files in C:\DIRECTORY\
WHY THAT PROBLEM
=============
The C:\DIRECTORY\ contains text files *.txt whose content should undergo some changes (that pertains to ALL THE FILES IN C:\DIRECTORY\). So I should open each file, edit, save and then close it. Everything is clear to me when dealing with concrete files but I have no idea of how to go through the unknown list of files in C:\DIRECTORY\.
Thanks in advance for any hint!

The functions FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() will iterate the all the files and sub-directories. For each file they return a structure that contains the filename, attributes, size and other data. Check the file's attributes to see that it is a normal file and, if it is, your program can open and edit it.

Thanks Ancient Dragon for your answer. As for FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile(), could you please tell me which C++ library should be included in order for the two functions to be available? I was not able to find them in C++ Builder but that doesn't mean they do not exist at all.
Thanks again!

Thanks Ancient Dragon for your answer. As for FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile(), could you please tell me which C++ library should be included in order for the two functions to be available? I was not able to find them in C++ Builder but that doesn't mean they do not exist at all.
Thanks again!

Does it support <windows.h>

If not, dev-cpp from bloodshed definitely does.

#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    HANDLE hFind;
    WIN32_FIND_DATA FindData;
    int ErrorCode;
    BOOL Continue = TRUE;

cout << "A decent FindFirst/Next demo." << endl << endl;

hFind = FindFirstFile("C:\\*.txt", &FindData);

if(hFind == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
    {
        ErrorCode = GetLastError();
        if (ErrorCode == ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
        {
            cout << "There are no files matching that path/mask\n" << endl;
        }
        else
        {
            cout << "FindFirstFile() returned error code " << ErrorCode << endl;
        }
        Continue = FALSE;
    }
    else
    {
        cout << FindData.cFileName << endl;

}

if (Continue)
    {
        while (FindNextFile(hFind, &FindData))
        {
            cout << FindData.cFileName << endl;

}

if (ErrorCode == ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES)
        {
            cout << endl << "All files logged." << endl;
        }
        else
        {
            cout << "FindNextFile() returned error code " << ErrorCode << endl;
        }

if (!FindClose(hFind))
        {
            cout << "FindClose() returned error code " << ErrorCode << endl;
        }
    }

cin.get();
}

Thanks again!

You will also need to read the Microsoft docs for those functions -- here

Thanks a lot friends! Both findfirst and findnext functions are introduced by dir.h (The Borland versions don't end with "File")

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.