I am havin an issue with the findVolume for the sphere part. It seems to ignore the "4/3" part but calculates everything else. Is there a way I can make it include this function?

Here is the code:

public class Sphere extends threeDShape{
    double r;
    public Sphere(double x, double y, double r){
        super(x, y, r, r, r);
        this.r = r;
    }
    public double findArea(){
        return(double)((4*3.14*r*r));
    }
    public double findVolume(){
        return (double)(4/3*3.14*r*r*r);

}
    public double getR() {
        return r;
    }

public void setR(double r) {
        this.r = r;
    }

@Override
    public String toString() {
        return String.format("The area of the sphere is: " + findArea() +
                "\nThe volume of the sphere is: " + findVolume());
    }
}

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Expression is evaluated with / and * same priority, left to right, is as
((((4/3)*3.14)*r)*r)*r
The first part is 4/3, which is two ints, so evaluated in int arithmetic, ie = 1
It doesn't switch to floating point until you get to the *3.14

You can rearrange the formula so the first part to be evaluated goes straight into floating point...

How would I rearrange it? I tried doing double n = 4/3; int n = 4/3; (3.14 * rrr) * 4/3; And still no luck.

Something as simple as swapping round the first couple of terms will do it: 3.14*4/3*r*r*r - the first thing to be evaluated is 3.14*4, which will be done in floating point, so then dividing that by 3 will also be done in floating point

Oh, now I see, thank you very much :) I will keep in mind that a/b will be = 1 (Java is confusing :P)
By the way, the way you showed me worked and after I saw how you did it, I tried another way which worked:

public double findVolume(){
        return (double)(4*3.14*r*r*r)/3;

Yes, that's just as good. The rule is simple - operations with two ints are evaluated as integer arithmetic, operations with one or more floating point are evaluated in floating point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.