I just want a simple text-to-speech facility. I just want a digit to be spoken. I'm sure it can be done with an OCX. Could play a wav file, but want this ability within an exe.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I just want a simple text-to-speech facility. I just want a digit to be spoken. I'm sure it can be done with an OCX. Could play a wav file, but want this ability within an exe.

Look up the Microsoft Agent API. It's a fast and easy way to get text to speech, as long as you don't mind the crazy little characters they use.

Microsoft Agent API ? Where can I find it ? And how do I use it ? Just want to pass, say, 6 to a control, and hear it say six.

I've done this..... it requires the microsoft text-to-speech control. The package (if you google, you should be able to find it) has controls to go in both directions (text to speech, so the computer can talk to you, and voice recognition, so you can talk to it, and it can respond).

http://www.microsoft.com/MSAGENT/downloads/user.asp#tts

This may be a little off topic, but a cool project would be to take one of those chatterbots and modify it to take speech and speak in return ;)

I've done that..... it didn't uh, work as well as one would hope. I always thought a slick thing to do would be to build an IRC client where you can tag a user.... and then when they are tagged, whatever they type will spoken (text2speech) through the speakers..... This way you don't have to flip back and forth all the time.

i seem to remember i did that with a batch file in dos

i seem to remember i did that with a batch file in dos

What?

No offense, but that's one of the most useless suggestions I've ever heard.

If you keep this up, I'm going to deem you a troll, and ban you.

commented: Awesome. +3

That's freaking awesome.... not that you need them, I'm still giving rep points for that one Alex

20 years ago thats all we had

What?

No offense, but that's one of the most useless suggestions I've ever heard.

If you keep this up, I'm going to deem you a troll, and ban you.

you use a double edge...i.e. no offense...but..ect.... and a bully like threat of banning someone.....are you sure you are an intellectual?

Batch files had no means of playing sound through the speaker.... QBasic, debug, or some other file could have been called by the batch file to spawn the app that plays a text to speech, but batch files themselves are not a language, and lack the kind of power required to perform text to speech.

Beyond that, this is a Visual Basic Forum, and if there was/is an external app that needed to be spawned, VB could do it all by itself. Now, if you could somehow show the VB code to create your super-batch file, by all means, I'd love to see it, and so would many others... but just do me a big favor, and try to keep the post relevant and helpful to the forum/thread. Thanks Bud.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.