Hi all,

I'd like to get started programming Windows, but not sure how to go about it. I've only really worked with Java (in terms of OO programming) up until now.

Will most Windows programming be done using .NET from now on? I mean, will any of the .NET languages be enough, or is there still a need to programme to a Windows API using something like C++? I guess I just don't want to spend ages learning COM programming, only to discover that it is now outdated...

I'd appreciate any pointers you folks could give me on this. :o

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I mean, could you use something running in the .NET CLR to, for example, change the Windows wallpaper, or something else like that - something that get into the "guts" of Windows?

Or is C++ (not C++.NET) necessary to really programme Windows at that level?

I know that these questions must be very basic, but I'd be very grateful for a bit of help with this, even some links to where I could find some information on this...

Will most Windows programming be done using .NET from now on? I mean, will any of the .NET languages be enough, or is there still a need to programme to a Windows API using something like C++?

Yeah. .NET will be the future windows programming platform. C++ is also one of the so called .NET languages. It is called managed C++ to run on the .NET Platform. All the syntax is more or less the same. There are some differences when building the project, but most of that will be taken care of when you use the Visual Studio Environment.

Or is C++ (not C++.NET) necessary to really programme Windows at that level?

As I said there is no much difference in your level for Standard C++ and C++ .NET. If you dont know C++, I would not recommend learning C++ just to do windows programming. You should consider learning C#. C# presently has a good value in the programmer market. It is much easier to program for windows using C# than C++ or C. And since you have a Java background, it will be a smooth transition as C# and Java are pure OO languages and the structure is similar. Get a good C# book that has "Windows Forms Programming" as one of it's contents. I hear that Charles Petzold has a good Windows Forms Programming book in C#. Or you can have a look by googling for "Tutorials in Windows Forms Programming in C#" or something in that lines.

Hey WolfPack, thanks so much for replying!

So, does this mean that you can access the Windows API using, say, C#.NET? Like, if I wanted to change the wallpaper, populate an Excel spreadsheet with data etc ?

So, does this mean that you can access the Windows API using, say, C#.NET? Like, if I wanted to change the wallpaper, populate an Excel spreadsheet with data etc ?

The Windows API is only a function library. And it is possible to use the API functions using C#. Changing the wallpaper is API stuff, so that is possible. But excel programming is not directly related to Windows API programming. But it is possible using C# too.

Thanks so much WolfPack - my ponderings were so vague that my googling got me nowhere! The links you posted look great - they've made things a lot clearer for me, and have certainly motivated me to get learning!

Thanks again :D

SFS

And here is how to change wallpaper.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.