So I've been working with C# for 2 weeks. That's not long at all, and probably and relatively to you, I have no knowledge at all.
None the less, when I'm using Microsoft Word, Skype, Mozilla Firefox. I can't imagine how this works. Apparently to get MySQL to work through C#, you need special connector. Plus, the scheme of program is always same, it consists out of multiple files including *.vshost.*, I don't see such files in Word, Skype of Firefox. I also don't see on how Firefox and Skype could've installed themselves that fast, if they need probably a lot of dependancies.

My question is. One gives a lot of knowledge of C# and Visual Studio 2013, would be able to reconstruct every "civil" program? After 10 years of experience could someone make clone of Skype, Word or Firefox? Or is it limited only to certain actions like Batch or JavaScript? If it is, which language should I switch to, to be able to learn to create alike things?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

it consists out of multiple files including .vshost., I don't see such files in Word, Skype of Firefox

The vshost files are specific to your installation of Visual Studio for debug and settings information, they're not included in a deployment package.

One gives a lot of knowledge of C# and Visual Studio 2013, would be able to reconstruct every "civil" program?

One could create a decent facsimile, sure. You mention Skype, Word, and Firefox. None of these are written strictly in .NET.

Or is it limited only to certain actions like Batch or JavaScript?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, and therefore cannot answer.

One could create a decent facsimile, sure. You mention Skype, Word, and Firefox. None of these are written strictly in .NET.

"Facsimile". I tried to Google that, and it comes down to being old copy of something. How about a decent copy of it? Well, yea, okay. Another way round, is it possible for super-experienced C# programmer to create (when given enough time) advanced browser (like Mozilla), advnaced text/document editing program (like Word) and advanced verbal and textual communication software (like Skype)?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, and therefore cannot answer.

Batch is limited to operating basic functions on computer.
JavaScript same, plus, it can only work on JavaScript. You can't make full fledged programs with it. The question is, is C# same. Is it only limited to what I've seen, "1 dialog screen, few buttons and work."

"Facsimile" is derived from Latin and it just means: "Made in the same way."
It is usualy used for a remake of an old book. This word is then mostly written on the first or last page of the book.
Personally I would not put time and effort in a remake of say Word in C#. I would try to make a better Word processor!
C# is more than a dialog and a few buttons.The .NET libraries are huge. There are among many others possibilities for Drawing,Mailing,DBaccess etc.etc.
Also have a look what WPF can do for you.

ddanbe, yes. I've been through WPF. I created really basic program. But I can't seem to be able to get into the essence of all-mighty-creation in C# that people are talking about. I'm feeling like I'm stuck here with PowerShell or JavaScript but with more make-up.

And how do I get into these libraries?

@edit - Maybe, by the way, you could shine more light on me. How do I make a WPF application where I click on button and another "frame" appears and the old one disappears? A new window of program.

Never used PowerShell or JavaScript.
Seems to me you have not much knowledge about the Visual Studio IDE. Google for tutorials. Here is a tutorial on WPF which I find rather good.

Another way round, is it possible for super-experienced C# programmer to create (when given enough time) advanced browser (like Mozilla), advnaced text/document editing program (like Word) and advanced verbal and textual communication software (like Skype)?

Yes, absolutely.

The question is, is C# same. Is it only limited to what I've seen, "1 dialog screen, few buttons and work."

Current versions of Visual Studio are supposedly written in C#. Does that count as all-mighty-creation? It's far from a toy application with one dialog, a few buttons, and some work. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.