Hey everyone,
I;ve implemented SSL to my server using this guide

now when I connect the server it takes some time to initialize now, I assume its setting up stuff, and then when the client connects takes awhile as well (few seconds), I'd assume it works but I want to see a log or something where client and server create the handshake, any ideas how? The way that I start my server is:

java -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=keystore -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=password HelloImpl &

What I tried was to use:

System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.keyStore","C:\\Users\\Slavi\\workspace\\rmiSSL\\keystore");
System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.keyStorePassword","password");

and then start the server using
-Djavax.net.ssl.debug=all -cp . HelloImpl > 1.txt HelloImpl &
by doing so it prints out a lot of information in a file but at the end I don't see the things that my server is supposed to return when its up and running such as "Server running"

then I commented out the setProperty lines and tried started the server using
java -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=keystore -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=password -Djavax.net.ssl.debug=all -cp . HelloImpl > 1.txt HelloImpl &
and then in my text file I only get "Server running" and no information about the handshake after a client connets or what so ever. Although when I run a client, everything seems pretty smooth, and I get the expected result on client side

Any ideas? :x

Ummmm I tried implementing SSL on the big project now but .. omg the errors I get ....

This is how it is implemented on the server side

super(0, new SslRMIClientSocketFactory(), new SslRMIServerSocketFactory());
                                System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.keyStore","C:\\Users\\Slavi\\workspace\\PrintServer\\src\\server\\keystore.jks");

and this is the Client side

System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.truststore","C:\\Users\\Slavi\\workspace\\PrintServer\\src\\application\\truststore.jks");
        System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.trustStorePassword","trustword");

when the client tries to communicate, these are the errors I get ...

connection established localhost:3232
Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$MethodHandler.invoke(FXMLLoader.java:1768)
    at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$ControllerMethodEventHandler.handle(FXMLLoader.java:1651)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:238)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:49)
    at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:204)
    at javafx.scene.Node.fireEvent(Node.java:8175)
    at javafx.scene.control.Button.fire(Button.java:185)
    at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior.ButtonBehavior.mouseReleased(ButtonBehavior.java:182)
    at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.BehaviorSkinBase$1.handle(BehaviorSkinBase.java:96)
    at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.BehaviorSkinBase$1.handle(BehaviorSkinBase.java:89)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler$NormalEventHandlerRecord.handleBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:218)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:80)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:238)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
    at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)
    at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:204)
    at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3746)
    at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.access$1800(Scene.java:3471)
    at javafx.scene.Scene.impl_processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1695)
    at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2486)
    at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:314)
    at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:243)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:345)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:526)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:898)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.access$300(WinApplication.java:39)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication$4$1.run(WinApplication.java:112)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
    at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:71)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
    at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:275)
    at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$MethodHandler.invoke(FXMLLoader.java:1765)
    ... 47 more
Caused by: java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connection establishment; nested exception is: 
    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:304)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:202)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:130)
    at java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invokeRemoteMethod(RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.java:194)
    at java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invoke(RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.java:148)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy2.validateCredentials(Unknown Source)
    at application.ClientViewController.handleLogIn(ClientViewController.java:159)
    ... 57 more
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
    at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)
    at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:154)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.recvAlert(SSLSocketImpl.java:1991)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1104)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1343)
    at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:728)
    at sun.security.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(AppOutputStream.java:123)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:82)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:140)
    at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(DataOutputStream.java:123)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:229)
    ... 63 more

I am really stuck with this trying to implement it ... I am back to hello world application ... It runs perfectly fine if called from Terminal, completley goes nuts if called from Eclipse ......

Here is the entire code that I am using ...

RMI Interface:

import java.rmi.Remote;
import java.rmi.RemoteException;

public interface Hello extends Remote {
    public String sayHello() throws RemoteException;
}

RMI Server

import java.rmi.RemoteException;
import java.rmi.registry.LocateRegistry;
import java.rmi.registry.Registry;
import java.rmi.server.UnicastRemoteObject;
import javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIClientSocketFactory;
import javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory;

public class HelloImpl extends UnicastRemoteObject implements Hello {
    public HelloImpl() throws RemoteException {
        LocateRegistry.createRegistry(3000);
        System.out.println("RMI registry running on port 3000");
    }
    public String sayHello() {
        return "Hello World!";
    }
    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
        System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.keyStore","C:\\Users\\Slavi\\workspace\\rmiSSL\\keystore");
        // Get reference to the RMI registry running on port 3000 in the local host
        Registry registry = LocateRegistry.getRegistry(null, 3000);
        // Bind this object instance to the name "HelloServer"
        HelloImpl obj = new HelloImpl();
        registry.bind("HelloServer", obj);
        System.out.println("HelloServer bound in registry");
    }
}

RMI Client

import java.rmi.registry.LocateRegistry;
import java.rmi.registry.Registry;

public class HelloClient {
    public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {
        System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.trustStore","C:\\Users\\Slavi\\workspace\\rmiSSL\\truststore");
        System.setProperty("javafx.net.ssl.trustStorePassword","trustword");
        // Get reference to the RMI registry running on port 3000 in the local host
        Registry registry = LocateRegistry.getRegistry(null, 3000);
        // Lookup the remote reference bound to the name "HelloServer"
        Hello obj = (Hello) registry.lookup("HelloServer");
        String message = obj.sayHello();
        System.out.println(message);
    }
}

if I run the server using:
java -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=keystore - Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=password server/RmiServer

and the client
java -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=truststore -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=trustword HelloClient

everything works fine but if I just run the server and the client instead of
System.setProperty(.....) to set the keystore and the trustStore I get these errors:

C:\Users\Slavi\workspace\rmiSSL>java HelloClient
Exception in thread "main" java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connec
tion establishment; nested exception is:
        javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_fai
lure
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(Unknown Source)
        at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(Unknown Source)
        at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invokeRemoteMethod(Unkn
own Source)
        at java.rmi.server.RemoteObjectInvocationHandler.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy0.sayHello(Unknown Source)
        at HelloClient.main(HelloClient.java:12)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_
failure
        at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.recvAlert(Unknown Source)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown Source
)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRecord(Unknown Source)
        at sun.security.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
        ... 7 more

Any help/ideas more than welcome ...

I think the problem comes from this line
I set the system properties after this line but I think they should be before otherwise the keyStore used is something default but I can't call super unless on the same line, perhaps I should create new instance of the remote server after system props are set?

PS: there was a type in the original version I had "javafx." instead of "javax."

That might be the reason; you can simply use a static block in the class to load/call stuff at the time class is loaded. Though I think setting this in code is the wrong approach and the correct way would be to handle these things when deploying your code (for e.g. in the startup script/bat file/shell script which spawns the server and client).

That was the reason ,works like a charm now :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.